- 1 Semester or equivelent
- On campus: 24 hours Face to face, 12 hours online Hawthorn Online and OUA: Fully online
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2021 teaching periods
|HOL Study Period 3|
Last self enrolment:
Statistical Practice 1 (STA60001)
Research Project 1 (FBS90001)
COS60008 Introduction to Data Science
Aims and objectives
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Choose the appropriate statistical analysis based on the research hypothesis, the level of measurement of the variables and the testing of the appropriate assumptions.
2. Select appropriate statistical procedures, for example, using SPSS, Java applets on the web and mathematical calculations, to analyse data in a variety of contexts.
3. Explain the relationship between the concepts of effect size, sample size, one or two tailed tests, level of significance and power of a statistical test
4. Write interpretive summary reports for inferential statistical techniques
5. Identify when more advanced techniques are needed by comparing properties of statistical techniques to the nature of the research question.
Courses with unit
GC-APPS/GC-APPS (OUA) Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics
GD-APPS/GD-APPS (OUA) Graduate Diploma of Applied Statistics
MA-APPS/MA-APPS (OUA) Master of Applied Statistics
GC-DATASC Graduate Certificate of Data Science
MA-DATASC Master of Data Science