- One Semester or equivalentThis unit will be delivered on-line in Semester 2 2020
- 36 hours
2020 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
Principles of Game Design aims to introduce students to both the theory and practice of developing games. By providing a holistic view of games industry production methodology and artistry, this unit attempts to explore concepts of gameplay through critical examination of past, current and future trends in the definition of what constitutes “play”, as well as providing a practical toolkit to exercise these ideas in the form of the Unreal Tournament 2004 Software Development Kit.
- to give students an overview of key game development concepts and production techniques,
- to provide students with an introduction to the creation of game assets for the Unreal Tournament 2004 game engine,
- to provide students with an insight into the art and business of the games industry,
- to introduce students to explorative methods of developing interactive designs on the computer,
- to allow students to critically analyse appropriate methods of interactive communication and presentation,
- to allow students to apply appropriate communication methods for design development and presentation.