This unit introduces students to the varying aspects of government and corporate involvement in sport. It determines the relationship between corporate groups, sports organisations and government bodies to examine the potential for growth within these sectors. The unit focuses on recreational and professional agencies responsible for the organisation and delivery of sport throughout Australia and examines in detail their roles, functions and opportunities.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the social, political and commercial importance of sport in Australian society.
2. Analyse evolving opportunities for sport as a business.
3. Comprehend and apply the principles of using sport for commercial and entertainment value.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of agency in professional sport and sports events.
5. Identify the basic levels of governance and administration in both recreational and professional sport in Australia.