- One Semester or equivalentThis unit will be delivered on-line in Semester 2 2020.
- Equivalent to 36 Hours
2020 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
AND One of
Aims and objectives
Students who complete this unit of study will understand the nature of security threats to IT systems. Students will also be aware of deficiencies in modern software systems and will understand how to manage the security of computer networks. Students will be familiar with the tools used by hackers and crackers and be aware of ways of identifying and rectifying security breaches and they will be able to collect digital evidence and understand the rules of evidence gathering.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this Unit will be able to:
1. Evaluate security of networks and servers.
2. Determine suitable management plans for system security.
3. Develop audit plans which rate security of hosts, networks and systems.
4. Verify potential vulnerabilities through an understanding of social engineering.
5. Prioritise penetration testing activities by using a variety of security-related tools.
6. Verify potential vulnerabilities through an understand concepts of network monitoring.
7. Analyse and interpret logs and make recommendations on current Internet Security based on independent research.