- One semester or equivalentThis unit will be delivered on-line in Semester 2 2020
2020 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
This unit aims to engage students in the design process through first-hand observation, drawing/painting of real-life spaces, conceptual development, scale, design development and verbal and visual communication. Students will explore a range of conceptual design methodologies and ways of thinking. Through design projects, students will also investigate the development of spatial outcomes. They understand how to design spaces and built form by analysing the inter-relationship between interior-specific contexts and human experiences. Emphasis will be placed on the development of knowledge and skills in design as a reflective process in preparation for design studios at higher levels.
Students who successfully complete this Unit will be able to:
1. Explore a range of conceptual design methodologies and ways of thinking;
2. Basic sketching and paintings as design tools;
3. Critically observe, record, analyze space and human environments and eevaluate the effectiveness of a design from multiple perspectives;
4. Engage in and articulate, the conceptual design process in the context of constructing space as places of experience;
5. Use sketching/drawing to produce a series of possible solutions quickly and efficiently;
6. Manipulate scale and resolve aspects of drawings as a tool for communication;
7. Work independently and in teams to articulate work in progress and completed projects visually and verbally.