- One Semester or equivalent
- 48 hours + Blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
This unit will provide students with an understanding of health and disease. The unit further investigates the major diseases affecting people across the life course, including burden of disease and their aetiology, development, and implications for prevention and management at individual and population levels.
Biological, psychological, social, and cultural factors that influence health and disease are also explored.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Identify the major diseases affecting people across the life course and explain their aetiology, course, and management at individual and population levels.
2. Describe the biological, psychological, social, and cultural factors that influence growth, development, health and disease.
3. Examine critical life stages where exposure to determinants impacts on long-term health outcomes.
4. Analyse the impact and burden of disease on Australians and the Australian Healthcare system.
Courses with unitBA-HSC1 Bachelor of Health Science
BA-HSCPROF Bachelor of Health Science (Professional)
BB-HSCBUS Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Business
BB-HSCMCMN Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Media and Communication
BB-HSCSCI Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Media and Communication