- One Semester or equivalent
- Approx 8 hours per week active study
2021 teaching periods
|Teaching Period 1|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
137 credit points
Aims and objectives
This unit addresses the issues as sports organisations become more corporate and are responsible for greater turnover, there is a greater need for governance and adequate legal structures. Governance issues such as board structure, behaviour of directors, use of funds and behaviour of boards and staff will be adressed in this unit. The unit examines the legal structures in place for the regulation of sporting organisations and the associated legal and governance duties associated with sports management, particularly in Australia.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the legal and governance structures involved in managing sports and associated organisations.
2. Analyse legal concerns in sport regarding violence, specific torts, and doping.
3. Comprehend and apply the principles of negligence insurance and risk management in sporting contexts.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of employment, agency and trade contracts relating to sports management.