Associate Professor Samuel Wilson
PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia; MPsych, University of Melbourne, Australia; BComm, University of Melbourne, Australia; BA, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Swinburne Business School
- Department of Management and Marketing
- BA1216 Hawthorn campus
Samuel is a social psychologist whose research focuses on leadership for the common good, the social psychology of innovation, and public interest technology. He is co-creator of the Australian Leadership Index, co-director of the Thriving in Society 4.0 program of the Social Innovation Research Institute, Deputy Director of the Social Psychology of Innovation Research Group and co-convenor of the Melbourne Society 5.0 Forum.
His research has appeared in the British Journal of Social Psychology, Social and Personality Psychology Compass, and Behavior Research Methods, among other journals. Committed to research that creates social impact, Sam has published extensively with The Conversation and Analysis and Policy Observatory. Sam has been awarded over $1 million in external research grants from industry on leadership and humanitarianism-related research projects.
In addition to his leadership development work with postgraduate students in the Swinburne Business School, Sam has delivered executive education and corporate workshops, working with leaders in the medical and education sectors to develop their capacities to be effective, responsible leaders.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Business And Management - 150300
- Social And Community Psychology - 170113
Also published as: Wilson, Samuel; Wilson, S.; Wilson, S. G.; Wilson, Sam; Wilson, Sam G.; Wilson, Samuel G.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Proposal to support investigation into humanitarian response following bushfire crisis *; Australian Red Cross
- 2019: Efficiently Doing Good *; Australian Red Cross
- 2019: Exploring Leadership Development *; THE AUSTRALASIAN COLLEGE FOR EMERGENCY MEDICINE
- 2019: Female Leadership and Positive Work Culture *; Australasian College of Emergency Medicine
- 2019: The Effect of Servant Leadership on Individual and Organisational Effectiveness *; Australasian College of Emergency Medicine
- 2018: Building leadership capability models for different levels with ACEM *; ACEM
- 2018: Psychology of Entrepreneurs *; Armas Investments Fund Scheme
- 2018: Strategic Partnership - Research Institutes Seed Grant 2017 *; Australian Red Cross
- 2018: The Australian Leadership Index *; SteveGraham
* Chief Investigator
- 2020-12-08: A Year in Review: How 2020 Highlighted the Role of Australian Leaders in Serving the Greater Good - Medium
- 2020-11-12: Pandemic widens gap between government and Australians' view of education - The Conversation
- 2020-11-03: Sam Wilson, a senior lecturer in leadership based in Melbourne - why is he attending #ILA2020GLOBAL? - International Leadership Association
- 2020-10-16: Blunders aside, most Australians believe state premiers have been effective leaders during pandemic - The Conversation
- 2020-09-24: Australian Leadership Index: Driving leadership for the greater good - Swinburne News
- 2020-04-28: Leadership during the COVID-19 - ABC Radio Perth
- 2020-04-24: How the coronavirus pandemic is (finally) resulting in leadership for the greater good - The Conversation
- 2020-02-17: The Australian Leadership Index: A New Measure of Leadership for the Greater Good in the Public, Private and Plural Sectors - Innovative Leadership Institute
- 2020-02-11: Research Findings on Attitudes About Leadership - Voice America
- 2020-01-27: Talking Leadership Podcast #40: Dr Samuel Wilson - Talking Leadership
- 2019-09-22: A sobering end to the AFL season - The Age
- 2019-09-10: Best on ground: why Australians think sporting bodies provide strongest leadership for public good - The Conversation
- 2019-07-31: Promoting humanitarian action in a digital world - Swinburne News
- 2019-07-25: Damning report card of the performance of Australian leaders across all sectors - news.com.au
- 2019-07-25: New research reveals lack of faith in religious institutions - CathNews
- 2019-07-25: Swinburne launches Australian Leadership Index - Swinburne News
- 2019-07-25: What makes a good leader? - ABC Drive
- 2019-07-24: Leadership index reveals public distrust in NFP sector - Pro Bono News
- 2019-04-17: New research shows Australians lack faith in our political parties to provide real leadership - The Conversation
- 2019-02-14: One-third of Australians think banks do nothing for the greater public good - The Conversation