Top six reasons why you should choose Swinburne
At Swinburne, we can help you reach your study and career goals through a wide range of courses and pathways. Whether you’re studying at one of our modern campuses, in the workplace or online, you’ll enjoy an exciting and dynamic experience. Here are six reasons why you should choose Swinburne:
1. We are an internationally recognised university
Swinburne has an international reputation for quality research that connects science and technology with business and the community. Our standing in prestigious world academic ranking lists reflects our commitment to high-quality teaching and research and graduate outcomes.
Some of these rankings and ratings include:
- Swinburne was ranked among the world’s top 350 universities by the 2022 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- Swinburne once again ranked in the Times Higher Education 2021 Young University Rankings, placed at number 62 out of 250 institutions.
- The 2022 QS World University Rankings ranked Swinburne in the world's top 350 universities, placing us in the top 3 percent of universities worldwide.
- Swinburne was ranked number 45 in the 2021 QS Top 50 Under 50 list, an index of the world's top universities under 50 years old.
- Swinburne was ranked one of the world's top 300 universities by the prestigious 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
- Swinburne was recognised as having one of the best design schools in the world by the 2021 QS World Rankings of Universities by Subject. We were listed in the top 100 for the Art and Design subject area.
- Swinburne was ranked number 241 in the 2021 US News Best Global Universities, up from 297 in 2020.
2. Our industry connections and workplace experience
For over 50 years, we've been partnering with leading Australian and global organisations to offer students authentic workplace experiences. These create opportunities for valuable workplace experiences. On top of that, industry representatives inform and shape our curriculum.
Our Work-Integrated Learning program offers six- and 12-month paid work placements, during which you could find yourself working with prospective employers and developing valuable industry networks. You may also have access to the Swinburne Innovation Precinct as part of your course.
3. High-quality research and teaching
We have a reputation for quality education and world-class research – that’s why Swinburne attracts highly qualified academics and educational leaders. You’ll learn from academic staff who not only have industry experience but who also bring that experience to life through their teaching.
Our research creates jobs, improves lives, connects science and technology with business and the community, and elicits real change in the world. We have led advancements in solar sciences, advanced manufacturing and sustainable technologies.
4. Cutting-edge facilities that enhance learning
We have made significant investments in major refurbishments and new infrastructure at all of our campuses. We have done this to ensure we continue to deliver courses and training at the highest level.
New buildings include a $100 million Advanced Manufacturing and Design Centre and an Advanced Technologies Centre that includes a state-of-the-art Smart Structures Laboratory for research into structural engineering. It’s the only one of its kind in Australia. Just one more reason to choose Swinburne!
5. We offer flexible study options
We understand that studying full-time isn’t practical or feasible for everyone. That’s why we let you choose how and when you study. Depending on your course, you can study online or part-time. This means the amount of time spent on campus is kept to a minimum. To help you balance work, life and study, you can spread the load over Summer and Winter terms too.
6. You can access the Swinburne Advantage
Getting you job-ready is at the heart of what we do.
Learn from experienced teachers who remain connected to their industries. Make contacts, receive valuable career advice and become immediately competitive in the global job market.
Our courses are well recognised by professional organisations. We have close ties with industry and provide invaluable workplace experience. Industry representatives shape our curriculum, providing guest presenters, team projects and six- to 12-month paid professional placements for students.
All of these experiences empower you with a greater chance of employment – even before you graduate.