Design Centred Vietnam
This program will give you the rare opportunity to experience Vietnam from the eyes of local architects/interior designers and researchers. You’ll come home with enhanced cultural awareness and hands-on international design project experience.
- Destination/s: Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Dates: 8 - 26 January 2024
- Cost: TBC + airfares
- Funding available: $3,000 New Colombo Plan scholarships and OS HELP Loans available for eligible students
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Application deadline: 18 August 2023
- Register your interest
Study tour overview
This study tour is an opportunity to discover design-centered Vietnam, where some of the world’s most interesting processes of architectural and design changes, and urban renewal are currently taking place. You will have the chance to experience the layered culture and everyday life of Hanoi’s Ancient quarters, French quarters and new urban areas and you will discover Vietnam’s historical and contemporary interaction with and adaptation to Chinese, French, American, the former Soviet Union’s and global influences. This program will enhance your cultural awareness and you will get to visit some of Vietnam’s renowned heritage sites, including Ha Long Bay, Cu Chi Tunnels and Temple of Literature. Visits will also be made to local and international practices in architecture and design, where you will have the opportunity to undertake hands-on project work.
- Gain experience in working with overseas partners and students as you tackle a design project in-country
- Explore the current most interesting processes of architectural/design changes and urban renewal in the world.
- Visit local universities and design firms to establish contacts and learn from their practices
Highlights / tentative itinerary
- Cultural site visits for design projects
- Work on a design project with local students
- Presentation of design projects to local academic and designers
- Visits to world heritage sites
- Study visits to architectural and cultural sites and local museums
- Study visits to local and international design practices
- Study visits and attend design events workshops at local universities
Which units can this program be taken for as credit?
DDD20023 - Elective for Design students
Eligibility and selection criteria
Undergraduate students, in particular Interior Architecture and Architecture students. Students from other design disciplines are also welcome to apply. Postgraduate students may participate but they will not get any credit points for their participation.
Program cost includes:
- All local and inter-state transport and flights
- Shared hotel accommodation in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, including breakfast
- Temple of Literature entrance
- Museums of History, Ethnography entrance
- Selected sightseeing tours
- Welcome Dinner
- Farewell Dinner
- Travel and medical insurance
Additional expenses to consider (not included in program cost):
- International airfares
- Academic unit/tuition fees
- Personal expenses
- Lunches and most dinners
The following types of fee help and funding are available to help eligible students with the costs towards this program:
- OS Help Loan of up to A$8,817 (as at 2023)
- Limited New Colombo Plan grants valued at A$3,000
Information sessions will be scheduled in the coming months. In the mean time, please register your interest to find out more.
Still not sure?
For further details on this program please contact:
Dr Phuong Dinh
+61 3 9214 6012
Join us on the next tour
Register your interest to join us on the Design Centred Vietnam study tour and we'll get back to you with the next steps.