Explore the architecture and design of Hanoi’s Ancient Quarters, French Quarters and urban areas and discover more about the historical and global influences on design in Vietnam.
- Locations: Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Cost: TBC
- Unit code: DDD20025
Study tour overview
This study tour is an opportunity to discover design-centred Vietnam, where some of the world’s most interesting processes of architectural and design changes, and urban renewal are currently taking place.
You’ll be able to explore the layered culture and everyday life of Hanoi’s Ancient quarters, French quarters and new urban areas and will learn about Vietnam’s historical and contemporary interaction with and adaptation to Chinese, French, American, the former Soviet Union’s and global influences.
This tour will allow you to enhance your cultural awareness and visit some of Vietnam’s renowned heritage sites, including Ha Long Bay, Cu Chi Tunnels and Temple of Literature.
Visits will also be made to local and international practices in architecture and design where you will have the opportunity to participate in project work.
- Cultural site visits for design projects
- Actively working on a design project with local students
- Presentation of design projects to local academic and designers
- Visits to world heritage sites
- Study visits to architectural and cultural sites and local museums
- Study visits to local and international design practices
- Study visits and attend design events workshops at local universities
Hanoi red bridge over the Hoan Kiem Lake.
- A rare opportunity to experience Vietnam from the eyes of local architects/interior designers and researchers
- Experience working with overseas partners and students with similar study experience in a design project
- Explore the current most interesting processes of architectural/design changes and urban renewal in the world
- Visit local universities and design firms to establish contacts and learn from their practices
- Offers great opportunity to engage in the life of some of the most culturally exiting places in Vietnam
- Completing one 12.5 credit point unit of study (an elective or an approved core unit of study)
Eligibility and selection criteria
Undergraduate students, in particular Interior Design and Architecture students. Students from other disciplines are also welcome to apply. Postgraduate students may participate, however they will not be eligible for academic credit for their participation.