HELP debt information

New and revised HELP debts are now being transferred to the ATO. Find out more about how to check your HELP debt or how to check your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN).

Whether it's financial assistance or information about Centrelink, check out some of our services.

Support services and resources

If you’re struggling financially and having trouble meeting basic living costs, you may be able to receive a grant to help you cover some expenses. 

These grants apply to you if you’re significantly financially disadvantaged, or from a low socio-economic background (for example, you or your family receive Centrelink payments).

Grants are available at different times of the year. Search grants for full eligibility criteria and application deadlines.

Swinburne has small loans available for students facing financial hardship through our partnership with Good Shepherd Micro Finance.

If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for Swinburne Student Life’s Tax Help program. It’s a free and confidential service to help students complete their tax returns, run by a group of ATO-trained and approved student volunteers.

When is Tax Help available?

Tax Help is available in-person from 22 July to 31 October 2024 by appointment.

Who can access Tax Help?

You’re eligible for Tax Help if your income is up to A$60,000 for the income year and you did not:

  • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver 
  • run a business, including as a sole trader 
  • have partnership or trust matters 
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

Note: If you’re eligible for Tax Help, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

Book an appointment

All Tax Help appointments will be conducted in person at the GS Building, Hawthorn campus.

Appointments will be available from 22 July to 31 October 2024.
For more information, you can contact Swinburne Student Life in person, by phone or email.

Swinburne Student Life
+61 3 9214 5445
34 Wakefield Street, George Building, Level 1

Book an appointment
Information to bring to your appointment

To prepare your tax return, you must bring certain information to your appointment. Make sure to read and complete the steps in the Tax Help appointment confirmation form [PDF 150KB]

Whether it's understanding what your fees cover or dealing with an overdue fee notice, help is available. You can learn more about your rights and responsibilities relating to fees in several ways:

  • The answer may already be in the FAQs.
  • Visit studentHQ  and speak with someone.

Note: Due to the large volume of queries around the census date peak periods, responses may be delayed.

Fees help guides

If you want more information about paying your fees and managing your finances online watch out video help guide.

Viewing Your Financial Information and Paying Your Student Fees
View transcript [PDF, 225KB]

Centrelink is a government agency that supports Australians on low or no income. Students might also be entitled to benefits. 

Whether you’re already a student, or are planning to become a student, you should check your eligibility for Centrelink benefits such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy.  

For advice on what Centrelink support you're entitled to, use the Payment and Service finder on the Centrelink website.

There’s a foodbank on each Swinburne campus for those experiencing financial hardship. 

To access Foodbank, contact the Health and Wellbeing area on your campus and make an appointment with a nurse or counsellor.

Hawthorn campus

+61 3 9214 8483 
Level 4, George Swinburne Building 
34 Wakefield Street, Hawthorn 

Croydon campus

+61 3 9726 1418

Wantirna campus

+61 3 9726 1418