It's totally normal to experience some ups and downs while you're at university, but you don't have to go through it alone. If you’re having trouble with your studies or feeling unsure about your course, we’re here to help you.
Our academic development advisers can chat to you about any problems you’re having and help you work out how to get your studies back on track.
Academic learning advisers can help if you:
- are finding your course difficult or have failed some units
- would like some help balancing work and study
- are not feeling motivated about your course
- are experiencing some health, financial or personal issues that are impacting your studies.
An adviser can chat to you one-on-one about you about your situation, and help you work out your next steps.
This might mean setting some realistic goals and making a plan or working out how you can fit study in with the other things happening in your life. We can also put you in touch with other people at Swinburne who can help you.
Contact your faculty academic development adviser to book an appointment.
Help if you’re ‘at risk’ or need to ‘show cause’
Study support sessions run every week for students who are ‘at risk’ or need to ‘show cause’.
Drop in and get some help with improving your marks, how to study successfully, prepare for exams, stay motivated and how to manage your time.
These study support groups meet every week during the semester for one hour.
Check when the sessions for your faculty are on and come along to the room at the Hawthorn campus. You don’t need to book.
If you are unsure which faculty you belong to, contact studentHQ.
Semester 2, 2019
|Faculty||Day and time||Room|
|Faculty of Health, Arts and Design||Mondays, 2.30–3.30pm||ATC601c|
|Faculty of Health, Arts and Design||Tuesdays, 2.30–3.20pm||ATC427|
|Faculty of Business and Law||Mondays, 1.30–2.30pm||BA606|
|Faculty of Business and Law||Fridays, 11:30am–12:30pm||BA606|
|Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology||Wednesdays, 12.30–1.30pm||EN405|
|Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology||Thursdays, 12.30–1.30pm||AMDC506|
Get advice about your course
Looking for advice on the units you’re choosing? Need help to decide if you’re in the right course or wondering where your program might lead? We can help you with any questions you have about your chosen course. For Pathways and Vocational Education (PAVE) students, contact student HQ and Careers and Employability.
Enrolment and course structure advice
If you need help from someone with specialist knowledge on your course, you can book an appointment with a Course Advice Specialist.
Course Advice Specialists can help you to:
- choose the right units to enrol in to meet the requirements of your course
- change your major or minor
- plan your course structure so you finish your course on time.
- Appointments are available for face to face meetings and over the phone. Higher Education students can also attend Course Advice sessions with a small group of other students during enrolment/re-enrolment and results release periods.
Tailored course advice
Our academic development advisers are available for one-on-one appointments and can give you advice on your particular situation.
Come and chat if:
- you’re not sure you’re in the right course
- you can’t decide which units or major to choose, and would like advice on your options
- you’re having trouble and want to get your study back on track
- you want some tips on how to fit study into your life or improve your marks.
The Careers & Employability Team offers advice on your career and jobs your course can lead to.
Talk to an academic development adviser
Academic development advisers work in each of Swinburne’s faculties. They’re here to help you make the most of your university experience and assist with any issues you may face during your studies, including:
- Study strategies, such as managing time, work or study load, goals or making the most of lectures
- Finding the right support service to help with your study and/or life challenges
- Organising programs such as Strategies for Success, to help you to achieve your best academically.
- Offering omgoing support as you get your studies back on track
Book an appointment
You'll find the contact details for the academic development adviser for your faculty or course area below.
Academic Development Adviser (Monday to Wednesday)
- At Risk and Show Cause
- Back on Track
- Strategies for Success
- Location: BA Building, Room 915
- +61 3 9214 8408
Academic Development Adviser (Thursday and Friday)
- +61 3 9214 8408