Renting and shared accommodation

Renting a place by yourself, or with other students, is a rite of passage towards independence. It's an important learning experience and a lot of fun.

Finding your own place or a sharehouse

There are a number of resources you can use to help you find the right accommodation for you.

As well as online searching, you can also find accommodation in local newspapers, on noticeboards and at local real estate agents.

Support from housing advisers

If you're looking to rent a property, you can contact a Swinburne housing adviser for information and support. There are housing advisers at all of Swinburne's campuses.

If you're an international student, you can contact the dedicated housing adviser for international students.

A housing adviser can:

  • help you apply for properties and understand the process
  • give you advice on where you can live, what facilities are available, and what prices are reasonable
  • provide information about cultural and legal issues that may affect you as a renter
  • help you negotiate any conflicts with a real estate agency or landlord.

Unfortunately, we can't find accommodation for you or make accommodation bookings.

Resources on renting

Consumer Affairs Victoria, the Department of Human Services, Youth Central and the Tenants Union of Victoria are all excellent sources of information for people looking for rental properties in Victoria.

Resources for international students

Sharing in a rooming house

Sharing in a rooming house is another off-campus accommodation option that's available to you. The Swinburne housing database does sometimes advertise rooming houses. 

We encourage you to read over Consumer Affairs Victoria's content on rooming houses if you're considering this option.