Vocational education Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment
If you are applying for a vocational education course (Certificate I to Advanced Diploma), you need to complete the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment as part of the eligibility criteria for:
- enrolling in a government-subsidised place
- applying for a VET Student Loan (including full fee paying places and government-subsidised places in eligible courses).
Your LLN result will be used to help us determine your educational support needs and determine your eligibility for VET Student Loans.
Swinburne uses the BKSB tool for LLN assessment. Once you have completed the assessment, you will receive a score between 1 and 5 in Maths and a score between 1 and 5 in English.
If you have completed the Swinburne LLN assessment within the past two years, you do not need to take it again.
How to take the LLN assessment
You will have access to the bksbLIVE assessment tool within 30 minutes of submitting your course application. The assessment will take about 45 minutes to complete.
- Log in with your username and password. Your username is your Student ID number. Your password is swinburne
- Follow the instructions on screen to complete the Initial Assessment for Maths and English. You do not need to undertake the Diagnostics Assessment.
- Your score is shown immediately after you complete each assessment. Please retain a copy for your own records. Your results are recorded against your student record within 15 minutes of completion.
How to retake the LLN assessment
You may retake your assessments to achieve a higher score.
- Log in to the assessment tool with your username and password.
- Select the Courses tab at the top of the screen.
- Select View Course for the assessment you wish to retake.
- Scroll to bottom of the page and select Retake Initial Assessment.
For help with technical issues, contact the IT Service Desk on +61 3 9214 5000.