If your student visa is due to expire and you intend to extend your current course, you will need to renew your student visa before it expires.
Before applying for a CoE, you must be enrolled in units in the current or upcoming semester/term. Find out how to enrol.
You also need to know your expected course completion date and have the following documents ready for your CoE application:
- A copy of your passport photo page with your full name and passport number.
- A copy of your visa page or e-visa.
- An Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)* policy certificate valid until your new expected visa expiry date. Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for information regarding the length of stay.
If you're a sponsored student (i.e. a student who is sponsored or funded by the government in their home country) you must provide a new financial guarantee from your sponsor on official letter head that is valid until the end of your course.
Note: You do not need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if you are:
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
- a Belgian student covered under Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with Australia.