Visa extensions are not automatic and are only permitted in certain circumstances as defined by the Department of Home Affairs.

Extending your visa for your current course

If you’re continuing with your current course at Swinburne follow these steps to extend your visa duration:

Step 1: Get your new Overseas Student Confirmation of Enrolment

You must have your new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) before you can apply to renew your student visa.

Please allow at least 10 working days (longer during peak periods such as at the start of a semester) for your CoE to be issued.

Applications received before the release of results for the current study period will not be processed until the results are published.

Before applying for a CoE, you must be enrolled in units in the current or upcoming semester or term. Find out how to enrol.

You also need to know your expected course completion date and have the following documents ready for your CoE application:

  • a copy of your passport photo page with your full name and passport number
  • a copy of your visa page or e-visa
  • an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy certificate valid until your new expected visa expiry date – Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for information regarding the length of stay.

If you are a sponsored student (i.e. sponsored or funded by the government in your home country), you must provide a new financial guarantee from your sponsor on official letter head that is valid until the end of your course.

Apply online for a CoE

You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with Australia.

Step 2: Apply online to renew your visa with the Department of Home Affairs

A student visa renewal application can be lodged online via your ImmiAccount

You may need to provide other documents along with your CoE. Further information about visa renewals can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Need visa renewal advice and support?

Contact the International Student Advisory and Support team for free advice and support regarding extending your student visa by calling +61 3 9214 6741 or emailing