In 2021, the Australian Government is providing 50,000 additional Commonwealth supported places (CSP) for short courses and 12,000 additional CSP for commencing undergraduate courses across a range of priority disciplines as part of the Job-ready Graduates Program. These courses will support you to develop your career so that you can take on the demands of the changing economy.

Heads up!

If you study one of these courses, you will (pending eligibility) receive a government subsidy so you can study now for less.

What courses can I study?

Associate degree and bachelor degree level

Postgraduate level

New courses

Existing courses

Am I eligible?

To get a CSP, you must be either an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent visa holder, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit(s) of study. CSPs under the Job-ready Graduates Package have been made available for 2021 only. Any remaining units commenced in 2022 may not be Commonwealth fee-supported. You may be eligible to defer payment of your fees under HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.

You will also need to meet the individual entry requirements of your chosen course. Click through to the course pages linked on this page to find out more and to apply.

  • “At Swinburne, we are leaders in providing industry-linked courses for our students. We’re excited to continue this by launching two new courses in the Australian Government’s Job-Ready Graduates Package which will provide our students with in-demand skills.”

    Chris Pilgrim , Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer

Frequently asked questions

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) is a university place where the Australian Government pays part of your fees as a subsidy (not a loan), and you don't have to pay it back. The subsidy doesn’t cover the full cost of your study though and you will need to pay for the rest yourself. There are fee payment options.

The national priorities areas of education are Teaching, Nursing, Psychology, Mathematical Sciences, Agriculture, Allied Health and Other Health, Counselling, Information Technology, Languages, Architecture and Building, Science, Engineering and Related Technologies, Medical Science, and Environmental Studies.

A graduate certificate is an introductory postgraduate qualification. As a standalone short course, it gives you the practical skills and insights that you need to be successful in a professional workforce.

A graduate certificate can also be completed to help give you an insight into postgraduate study in your field of study, or it may be useful if you're looking to undertake studies in a different area to your bachelor degree.

Yes. Graduate certificates provide a basis of entry and full credit into a relevant master program as follows:

Course lengths vary from six months full-time for a graduate certificate and may be taken part-time over longer durations.

Yes. Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) have been made available for 2021 only. Any remaining units commenced in 2022 may not be Commonwealth fee-supported.

There is no limit on how many of these courses you can complete in 2021, however, you may be ineligible for Commonwealth assistance (CSP or HELP) if you have undertaken more than two Commonwealth assisted courses supported by HELP loans in the previous 12 months.

If you undertake more than two short courses in 2021 this may affect your eligibility for Commonwealth assisted study in 2022.

Keep on exploring

  • Plumbing student working on a task

    Free TAFE for Priority Courses

    Check if you’re eligible for Victorian Government-subsidised training. If so, you can access the Free TAFE for Priority Courses initiative to have your tuition fees covered when you study an approved course.

  • female plumber

    Skills First program

    Skills First is a Victorian Government program that can help you access vocational education and training. If you’re eligible, the government will contribute to the cost of your training.