Swapping units

Local higher education students can withdraw from a unit and enrol in another at the same time in eStudent. International students can also swap units using the swap functionality in Student One by selecting the ‘Swap’ function on the left-hand navigation and following the steps.

For more information about swapping units, download our help guide My Enrolment: How to swap your units [PDF 285 KB]. 

Note: The last day you can swap a unit is the end of Week Two for Semester 1 and 2. After this date, you will not be able to enrol in any more units. To swap into a term-length unit, for example a Summer Term, you have until the first day of classes.

Refer to the academic calendar to view the last date you can add a unit:

  • Select the relevant teaching area from the 'Teaching Area' drop down menu. 
  • Select ‘Add units of study’ from the 'Key Date' drop-down menu. 
  • Select the relevant year from the 'Year' drop-down menu.

You can swap a major, co-major and minor in Student One, provided you've not yet started any of the units in your major or minor. To swap once you've started any of your major or minor units you need to submit the Amend Your Enrolment form.

If you have enrolled part-time but want to take up more units later, you can enrol in extra units in My Enrolment. See How to enrol for more information about the enrolment process. 

If you want to enrol in a course load that's greater than full-time (overloading), you'll need to submit the Enrolment amendment form. Overloading is not available to new students.

Submit an online Enrolment Amendment form to:

  • change your major or minor

  • overload in the next semester

  • underload for a semester (international students only).

Contact studentHQ if you have any questions about what you can and can’t change in My Enrolment.

OUA students who want to change or transition from their current course to a newer version should refer to our course transition process.

Do you know your key enrolment dates?

To avoid academic and financial penalties, make sure that you enrol or make changes to your enrolment by the correct cut-off dates. Learn more about your key enrolment dates.

Looking for your course planner?

Ensure you enrol in the correct units by downloading your course planner and find information on core units, the number of required completed units and the recommended study sequence for your course.

Withdrawing from a unit

The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a unit without being liable for all fees that relate to that unit. 

If you’re a higher education student, you will also incur an academic penalty (fail grade) if you withdraw from a unit after the academic penalty date.

You can withdraw from units online in 'My Enrolment' and follow the steps or download the withdraw from units online [PDF 180KB] document.

Note: You can’t withdraw from a unit after it’s finished.

View the academic calendar to check when the census and academic penalty date falls for the unit you want to withdraw from.

Withdrawing from a unit without adding another unit may mean that you're studying less than a full-time study load (underloading). You may need to apply to underload on a semester-by-semester basis.

Most study visas require that international students study full-time.  

You'll need to provide documents, such as a medical impact statement, to support your application.

Open Universities Australia (OUA) students should refer to the OUA website for information on withdrawing.

All requests to withdraw from a unit of study must be submitted directly through the OUA website.

Need help withdrawing from a unit?

Speak with studentHQ if you're unsure about what's involved or want more advice when it comes to withdrawing from a unit. We also encourage you to make use of our support services if you're having problems with your studies.

Need help with your enrolment?

If you need technical support as you enrol or are looking for more specialised advice, we're here to help.

Contact us now