Student FAQs

We encourage you to regularly check the Swinburne News article or Swinburne's COVID-19 hub for the latest advice and information on Swinburne's response.

On this page:


What is Swinburne doing about COVID-19?
Swinburne has established a dedicated COVID-19 Taskforce and is closely monitoring and managing the situation. We are following the latest advice from the relevant government and health authorities and we are in regular contact with students and staff to share our response.

To minimise the risks to our community, staff and students are currently working and studying from home. The majority of our courses are delivered online using existing systems such as Canvas.


What support is available to students?
If you're having trouble with your studies or feeling unsure about your course, Academic Development Advisers can chat to you about any problems you're having and help you work out how to get your studies back on track. You'll find the contact details for the Academic Development Advisor for your faculty or course area on the website.

The Learning and Academic Skills Centre is available online to provide you with study and assignment support. One on one appointments can be done via phone, Zoom or Skype, and Study Smarter workshops are being run via Zoom so you can continue to build your academic skills. For more information and to book an appointment go to the LAS website.

Studiosity is a 24/7 online support service that is available to all undergraduate and postgraduate students. You can ask questions to real-life subject matter experts as well as submit draft assignments and receive feedback within 24 hours on spelling, grammar, structure and more. It is accessed through Canvas, visit the Studiosity tab on the left hand side of any unit menu.

If you are unwell or have concerns about your health, or if you are feeling anxious or stressed, you can book an appointment with Wellbeing at Swinburne by calling (03) 9214 8483.

If you have other questions, please call +61 3 9214 8444 or send us an email.

The Out of Hours Crisis Line is also available from 4.00pm to 10.00am weekdays, and 24-hours on weekends and public holidays. Call 1300 854 144 or text +61 488 884 145.

Our AccessAbility Services team can also be contacted at or +61 3 9214 5234.

The Student Life Advocacy service provides information, advice and referrals to assist students with issues relating to Swinburne’s policies, procedures and processes. The service is independent, confidential and free. To book a phone appointment call +61 3 9214 5445 or email

All of our Careers and Employability services and programs are available online to help you develop your employability skills and get career-ready. Visit for more information.

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students can contact the Moondani Toombadool Centre at or +61 3 9214 8481.

International students: For comprehensive information on the support services and options available to you, please visit our International student FAQs.

What financial support is available to students?
The Australian Government has introduced new measures to support job seekers and students affected by coronavirus.

The temporary Coronavirus Supplement will be a fortnightly payment if you're already getting Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY or other eligible support payments. You can find more information about eligibility on the Australian Government Services Australia website.

If you’re not already receiving any Centrelink benefits, you can check your eligibility and apply for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY through myGov using a Centrelink online account, or by calling Centrelink.

You can read more information about available financial support for both domestic and international students on our COVID-19 hub, including Swinburne initiatives and recently announced government benefits for you to consider. Please remember to check your eligibility and relevant websites for further details.

International students: For information on what financial support is available to you, please visit our International student FAQs.

Will there be any changes or reduction in my student fees due to COVID-19?
Swinburne has extensive experience in delivering online education and we are confident we will continue to deliver a meaningful learning experience to our students, regardless of mode of study. You will have access to lectures online, learning resources and summaries through Canvas, and free access to the Adobe creative suite.

We are not refunding or reducing fees.

If you're concerned about your ability to pay your fees, please get in touch.

You can find more information about eligibility of additional government assistance on the Australian Government Services Australia website. If you are not currently studying full-time but would like to adjust your study plan, please book an online appointment with one of our Course Advice Specialists and we will see if this is possible for you.

Do I still have to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)?
Yes. All higher education (online and on-campus) students who are admitted into a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), regardless of the mode of delivery. This includes students who are enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate and UniLink courses. The SSAF supports the provision of non-academic services such as counselling, advocacy and other support services.


Will I get special consideration if my results are affected by COVID-19?
Yes. Students who fail in a study period after 1 April will not have their fail grades recorded on their academic transcript and any fail grades this semester will not have an impact on your grade point average (GPA).

Please also be aware that while your fail grade will not be recorded on your academic transcript, if you fail a unit:

  • you will have to repeat the unit if it is a core or a pre-requisite unit,
  • you will be charged fees for the unit, and
  • you will not be able to progress to a unit that the failed unit is a pre-requisite for - that is, if you failed Subject A, so you will not be able to enrol in Subject B until you have passed this unit (but your attempt/fail of Subject A will not show on your academic transcript).

In addition, students will also be able to request to have other results omitted from their GPA calculation if they believe a result will disadvantage them. Please see the GPA section of these FAQs for further information.

What will happen with exams?
Final exams will be replaced by alternative assessments to be completed during a final assessment period.


Please be aware that while your fail grade will not be recorded on your academic transcript, if you fail a unit:

  • you will have to repeat the unit if it is a core or a pre-requisite unit;
  • you will be charged fees for the unit; and
  • you will not be able to progress to a unit that the failed unit is a prerequisite for.

What happens if I have been given a ‘deferred’ or ‘DEF’ result?
A deferred (DEF) result is a temporary grade code given to students who have not completed the unit in full. Reasons a DEF result may be given include: extensions granted to a student to complete assessment tasks, disruptions to placement components and special consideration.

If you have been given a DEF grade in 2020 and you are later given a fail result as your final grade, the arrangement will still apply and the fail grade will not be included on your official transcript or your GPA calculation.

Does a deferred result have an effect on future enrolments?
A deferred result, though temporary, means that a student is still technically ‘enrolled’ in the unit. You cannot enrol into a requisite unit of the deferred unit until the final result has been released.

You also need to receive your final result for the deferred unit prior to re-enrolling for an additional attempt at the unit in the next study period/semester.

Do all my units contribute to my grade point average (GPA)?
The grade point average calculation only applies to units where you receive a mark from 1-100 and grades from N-HD.

Units which are pass or fail only, competent or not competent only, or where completion only grades are awarded do not contribute to the grade point average calculation.

While COVID-19 measures are in place, any fails results recorded from April 2020 will be omitted from your GPA calculation.

Why is my fail result still showing on my Student One ‘My Results’ page?
Any fail result recorded in 2020 (after 1 April 2020) is omitted from your GPA calculation and your official transcript. However, the fail result is still recorded and subsequently included at the 'My Results' page. This ensures that students can track their progress accurately and re-enrol into the unit if required.

What if I believe that my GPA has been calculated incorrectly and is taking my 2020 fail result(s) into account?
GPA calculations are generated using an automated report, so it is an unlikely an error has been made. However, if you strongly believe that the GPA has been calculated incorrectly, please first check the GPA calculation. To do this first identify which units should be included in the GPA then use the formula to ensure that it has calculated correctly. If the calculation still appears to be incorrect, please forward your calculation to Library & studentHQ for further investigation.  

How will my honours merit calculation be affected by COVID-19 disruptions?
Your Honours calculation will not be negatively impacted due to your results for studies completed in teaching periods or semesters where teaching transitioned online. Results recorded during these teaching periods will only be included in your honours calculation if they contribute positively to your GPA. In other words, only unit results higher than your GPA average will be taken into account for your honours calculation.

The ‘no disadvantage’ principle will apply to all forms of honours calculation at Swinburne.

Can I still be granted a conceded pass for a failed unit taken under these new conditions?
Yes, all students that meet the criteria for a conceded pass in a failed unit will be granted one. If a student wants this conceded pass to be removed later, they may make a request in writing to the faculty Student Progress teams:

Can I apply for a conceded pass if I believe I am eligible?
Yes, all students are welcome to apply for a conceded pass by completed the online conceded pass form.

Can I rescind a conceded pass?
Yes, you can rescind your conceded pass at any time during your course enrolment. Please request to do so by writing to your faculty Student Progress team:

I am close to completing my course, but I failed a unit. Can I still apply for a supplementary assessment – last to complete for the failed unit?
Yes, you can apply for a supplementary assessment for the failed 2020 unit and if you meet the criteria to be granted a last to complete, you will have the opportunity to undertake an additional assessment that if passed, will result in a final result of 50 SP (supplementary pass).

What if I fail my Last to Complete – Supplementary assessment?
If your supplementary assessment is not passed successfully, your final result will be recorded as a SN fail grade with a numerical mark that equates to your percentage mark out of 100 for just that supplementary assessment.

Like all other fail results recorded in 2020 after April 2020, this SN fail will not be included in your GPA calculation and will not appear on your academic transcript.

The 2020 unit I failed is a prerequisite for one my requisite units Will I still need to pass the pre-requisite unit I failed in order to enrol in the requisite unit?
Yes, you will need to successfully complete your pre-requisite unit before you can enrol into the requisite unit.

Despite the fail result not showing up your transcript or GPA, the university still needs to ensure that you have achieved a satisfactory level of competency to move to the next stage of your studies.

Will I be assessed for Academic Progress Review?
Yes, any failed units will be taken into consideration in an Academic Progress Review.

However, the challenging presented by COVID-19 will be considered in any progress decisions with the university focusing on the provision of academic and personal support for students who have had their studies disrupted.

I received a fail result in a 2020 unit, however, I have had my work remarked and have now passed the unit. Will the pass result be added back onto my transcript and be included in my GPA calculation?
Yes, your final mark will be amended to a pass using the university’s result amendment process and your pass result will be included on your academic transcript.

Will the unit I failed as part of a cross-institutional unit of study be omitted from my GPA calculation and removed from my transcript?
Cross-institutional units are not included in your GPA calculation under normal circumstances.  This will be no different for 2020 units.

I withdrew from my 2020 unit after census date and was given a withdrawn fail (WF) result. Will this result be omitted from my GPA calculation and removed from my official transcript?
Yes, all fail results will be removed from academic transcripts and omitted from GPA calculations.

I failed my LANTITE component during 2020, do I still need to pass both components of LANTITE?
Yes, you will still need to complete both components of LANTITE in order to successfully graduate and complete your teaching qualification at Swinburne. Please refer to the LANTITE information webpage for any updates regarding COVID-19 disruptions.

Can I request for any of my results (other than fail grades) be omitted from the calculation of my Grade Point Average (GPA)?
Any fail result recorded after 1 April 2020 is omitted from your GPA calculation and your official transcript. 

In addition, higher education students can request to have other results omitted from their GPA calculation if they believe a result will disadvantage their GPA.

This relates to all Higher Education teaching periods that commenced in 2020 and also includes OUA Study Period 4 2020 and SOL Study Period 3 2020 which are resulted in 2021. It will not include the 2021 Summer Period or future Teaching Periods.

The study period/s in scope are:


Teaching Period


OUA Study Period 1, 2, 3 & 4


SOL Teaching Periods 1, 2 & 3


Foundation & Pathways Study Period 1, 2, & 3


Summer & Winter Term


Terms 1, 2, 3 & 4


HED Block 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8


Semester 1 & 2


HE Semester (Jan), (Mar), (May), (Aug) & (Sep)


Foundation & Pathways Study Period 1, 2, & 3


NICA Semester 1 & 2


Executive Counselling and Training Academy (Singapore)

This change applies to any units/teaching periods that commence in 2020, including those that have results in 2021.

How do I request to omit a 2020 result from GPA calculation?
Students can make a request to have a specific result/grade removed from their GPA calculation through this online form.

This request should be submitted online no more than 10 business days after the release of results and when all results are published in your latest teaching period (2020 only).

How will I know that my result will not count as part of my GPA calculation?
Once the request has been approved, your results (HD, D, C etc.) will still display on your Statement of Results. However, the particular result/s you request not to be used in your GPA calculation will have an asterisk added to the code (HD*, D*, C* etc.).

Currently only the HED Graded Mark schema contains passed grades which are included in the GPA calculation as follows:

Grade Code

Grade Description

GPA Calculation


High Distinction












Passed Supplementary



Conceded Pass


The COVID-19 equivalent will be defined as:

Grade Code

Grade Description

GPA Calculation


High Distinction












Passed Supplementary



Conceded Pass


This asterisk will ensure that the result is excluded from your GPA calculation.

Can I change my mind about having a result removed from my GPA calculation?
Yes, students can withdraw this at any time during the course of their degree by writing to the relevant student progress team. The contact details for each of these teams will be on the bottom of the online form.

If I request for one of my unit grades to be omitted from my GPA calculation, does this mean all my unit grades will be omitted from my GPA calculation also?
No, you may choose the individual units from a given semester that you would like to be omitted from your GPA calculation. This will not impact the other results you achieved during the same study period.

I am unhappy with my unit result as I believe that I submitted assessments that were of a higher quality than the result I received. What should I do?
A request to omit you result from your GPA calculation for this unit may not be the best course of action for you to take if you strongly believe that the work you submitted warranted a higher grade. Please request a recheck or review of your mark instead.

I currently have a passed grade that is included in my GPA and I have recently completed my course. Am I able to have this pass grade omitted and my GPA recalculated?
Yes, as long as the pass result is recorded after 1 April 2020 and your request is made within 10 business days after the release of results and all results in your latest teaching period are published.

Is there a maximum number of units that I am able to request to omit from my GPA calculation?
No, as long as they meet the criteria for having a result omitted from your GPA calculation as per the above questions.

I am transferring to a different Swinburne course, will my omitted grades be transferred over and omitted from my new GPA for this new course?
As the unit is an internal course transfer (TRF), this will not be calculated as part of your GPA in your new course.

I am enrolled in a postgraduate coursework program at Swinburne, am I able to apply for my grade to be omitted from the GPA Calculation?

What happens if I have a ‘Deferred’, ‘DEF’ and SPX grade at the time of result publication for my study period? Can I request for my unit grades to be omitted from my GPA calculation when the ‘DEF’ and SPX result is resolved?
Yes, as long as the pass result is recorded after 1 April 2020 and your request is made within 10 business days after your results are finalised and made available to you on My Results.

How would an omitted result/grade affect my Honours calculation?
Your honours calculation will not be negatively impacted due to your results for studies completed in teaching periods where teaching transitioned online. Results recorded during these teaching periods will only be included in your honours calculation if they contribute positively to your GPA. In other words, only unit results higher than your GPA average will be taken into account for your honours calculation. Any result you choose to omit from your GPA will not be used for your honours calculation. 

The ‘no disadvantage’ principle will apply to all forms of honours calculation at Swinburne. It is important that you apply to have a result omitted from your honours calculation in a timely manner. This request should be submitted online no more than 10 business days after the release of results and when all results are published in your latest teaching period.

Where can I find further information on how my GPA is calculated?
Visit the Swinburne website for more details.


International students: For information on Admissions for Semester 1, 2021 please visit our International student FAQs

What are the 2021 key dates for students?
All teaching periods in the first half of 2021 will begin as scheduled. Refer to the 2021 Academic Calendar for a full list of key dates relevant to your course.

How will my classes be delivered?
We expect that COVID-19 will still be a part of our lives next year. So we'll continue to remain flexible and responsive to changes to ensure we're following all government directives.
Pending any significant changes, this is how we expect your studies will run in 2021:
• For onshore students, classes will be delivered within the COVIDSafe parameters, as a combination of on-campus and digital learning.
• For offshore students, studies will continue to be delivered digitally in the current format.
• On-campus learning activities, such as tutorials, studios and labs, will be conducted in smaller groups.
• Digital learning activities will mostly include theory-based learning activities and large-group learning activities, like lectures.
• The combination of digital and on-campus study will be designed to ensure that you can continue to meet the learning outcomes required for each of your units, and make the most of the many opportunities available to you as a Swinburne student. 
More information about how your units will be delivered will be available via your timetable from 18 December.

Swinburne students who want to discuss their study options are advised to speak to their unit convenor or teacher in the first instance. Students can also contact Library and studentHQ on 1300 794 628 or email contact us

What if I am unable to attend any on-campus classes?
Students unable to attend class on campus are advised to speak to their unit convenor or teacher in the first instance. If an on-campus element is unavoidable, students are advised to then look to study another option. To discuss your study options you can either make an appointment with the virtual Enrolment Support Hub or with a Course Advice Specialist. See here for more enrolment assistance.

Will the unit I am enrolled in be held on campus in Semester 1, 2021?
Classes will be delivered within the COVIDSafe parameters, and for most students will include a combination of on-campus and digital learning. We will not be able to hold lectures on campus based on current COVIDSafe directions from the government. High value on-campus learning activities, such as tutorials, studios and labs, will be conducted in smaller groups. The combination of digital and on-campus study will be designed to ensure that you can continue to meet the learning outcomes required for each of your units, and make the most of the many opportunities available to you as a Swinburne student. 

I can’t see my units on CANVAS, why not?
If you are unable to see specific CANVAS unit shells, please contact your unit convenor or teacher for more information. If you are unable to log into CANVAS or cannot see any content, call IT on (03) 9214 5000 and select option 4 for Canvas support. You may find the common FAQs for Canvas a useful resource as well.
I am a PAVE student and am unable to view if I need to be on campus or via online on my timetable?
If you are a PAVE student and cannot see if you should be attending classes on campus or via online, log into CANVAS here, using your student email address, to find the most up-to-date information on how your units are being taught.
I am in enrolled but I cannot register into a class as they are full. What do I do?
If you're having trouble registering into a class, it usually means the class is full. New places become available in full classes from time to time. If you're keen on a particular class time, check My class timetable every now and then to see if a new place has opened up.

I have a timetable clash, what do I do?
If the classes you have chosen are clashing, you will need to change one of them. Go to My class timetable and swap into a different class. If there are no other class times available and you can't avoid a clash, you will need to change one of the units you're enrolled in. Check your course planner to choose another unit.

International students: For comprehensive information on the support services and options available to you, please visit our International student FAQs.

Placements and internship
Placements and Internship are still available for 2021.

  1. Register your interest by completing the online form. Your eligibility will be confirmed via email within three working days.
  2. You will be added to Career Start, a compulsory online module designed to support students completing placements, internships and other Work Integrated Learning (WIL) opportunities.
  3. When you have completed Career Start, you will be provided access to view and apply for relevant opportunities.
  4. If successful, you will be enrolled in the relevant unit and be required to attend an induction lecture prior to starting.


When can I enrol in my 2021 units?
Enrolment for 2021 is now open. You can enrol in your units for all study periods for 2021, which means you can plan ahead and lock in the units you want to take for the full year.
To enrol log in to My Enrolment and follow the How to enrol guide.

When can I complete my 2021 timetable?
Timetabling will open on 18 December for most students. To find out when timetabling for your relevant teaching period will open, visit our Key Timetable Dates page. Your timetable will look a little different as we work through some new delivery options to ensure we’re meeting COVID-19 government directives.

Where can I get help with my 2021 enrolment and timetable?
If you need help with your enrolment or timetable, we have lots of support available. Book an appointment a Course Advice Specialist (for Higher Education courses) or an Enrolment Advisor (for Vocational Education and Swinburne Academy courses). You can also refer to our enrolment help guides, please contact Library and studentHQ on 1300 794 628 or email contact us


Will I get a personalised timetable for my assessments?
No. Instead of a specific timetable, you will receive posted announcements to each CANVAS unit shell. This will be published by your unit convener or other relevant unit staff member.

Where can I find a schedule of my assessments?
You will find this on CANVAS. There will be clear instructions and a schedule of your assessment tasks for each unit. This will contain details of the assessment task, the time allowed to complete the assessment once started, and the time period during which the assessment is available for you to complete.

How can I get access to teaching materials on CANVAS for my special consideration assessment for previous semesters?
Your unit convener will provide you access to old CANVAS shells as required. For example, to:

  • access your learning materials 
  • access relevant resources to prepare for the assessment 
  • undertake the assessment in the old unit shell.

I have an Equitable Assessment Arrangement (EAA). How will I get my EAA Schedule?
Your Equitable Assessment Arrangement requirement will be accommodated by your unit convener consistent with your Education Access Plan (EAP) for each assessment task during this period. If you believe that your Equitable Assessment Arrangement requirements have not been taken into account, please let your unit convenor know immediately so that adequate adjustments to the assessment can be made.

I still haven’t received any confirmation of the details of the alternative assessment for my unit. What should I do?
Contact your unit convenor for confirmation of your arrangements.

I don’t get onto CANVAS often. Will there be any other information sent to students regarding these alternate assessments?
As part of the transition to online delivery, all learning materials and assessment details are now being shared on CANVAS, so we recommend you log on regularly to stay up to date. 

What do I do if I have 2 or more assessments scheduled in a 24-hour period?
University policy only allows for a maximum of two assessments within a 24-hour period. If you have been assigned more than two assessments with a 24-hour period in a scheduled Final Assessment Period, please email


Will I be eligible to apply for special consideration for time-based alternative assessments?
Yes. More information on how to apply for special consideration is available on the Swinburne website.

Can I apply for special consideration if I have experienced technical issues affecting my ability to compete my time-based alternative assessment?
Yes. If you experience serious technical issues that have impacted your ability to complete a time-based assessment you may be eligible for special consideration.

However, as with all special consideration applications, students experiencing technical difficulties will need to provide valid evidence that is both time-specific and directly related to the scheduled assessment task.

Examples of evidence that may be considered include:

  • correspondence from your internet service provider about a loss, reduction or interruption of your internet service whilst completing your assessment task.
  • a clear screenshot or photo of the technical issue you are experiencing that includes the system date and time, as well as your assignment or CANVAS page; and/or any relevant error messages, troubleshooting information or correspondence from CANVAS support, your software, device and service providers.

Please ensure that any evidence submitted clearly aligns with the time you were completing the assessment.

Can I apply for special consideration if I have a medical reason that has significantly affected my ability to complete the assessment?
Yes, if you become ill unexpectedly, suffer an injury or have a medical condition that has unexpectedly and severely hampered your ability to commence or complete an assessment, you may be eligible for special consideration and can apply via the special consideration portal.

What evidence do I need to support an application for special consideration relating to a medical issue?
If you have a medical issue that has affected your ability to complete an assessment, you will need to provide a valid Registered Practitioners Statement as part of your application for special consideration.

The university understands that as a result of COVID-19 measures, organising face-to-face consultations with medical practitioners may be difficult. However, it is important that your medical condition is accurately assessed and documented by a registered health practitioner so that fair decisions can be made to support your academic performance.

You experience medical issues in the lead up to your final assessment date –
In this scenario it is strongly recommended that you provide a valid Registered Practitioners Statement to support your application for special consideration on medical grounds, the university may accept other forms of medical evidence on a case-by-case basis provided they:

  • match the description of your medical issue as described in your application.
  • show that the time period that you have experienced severe medical issues aligns with the dates of your assessment and/or the immediate leadup (revision and preparation time) to the assessment date; and
  • are in the form of official inpatient correspondence/documentation from clinics or hospitals that clearly verify your identity. 

I do not feel comfortable visiting a general practitioner, doctor or other medical facility in person due to the coronavirus.  How do I get the appropriate evidence to support my application?
A medical certificate or any other relevant medical evidence can be obtained through a phone, video or online consultation with a medical practitioner.

There are several telehealth and online consultation services available in Australia.  Many GPA’s can

consult with patients over the phone, and scan and email Medical Impact Statement (MIS) forms to students for a special consideration Medical Impact Statement.

If your GP does not offer telehealth, online, or phone consultations, other options include:

Swinburne health service
Wellbeing at Swinburne now offers phone appointments and limited face-to-face appointments for medical, counselling and psychological services, which are bulk billed for students. Call +61 3 9214 8483 to make an appointment or book a GP telehealth consultation online

GP2U is also an online database with options to book online or telehealth appointments with doctors that bulk bill. Site registration is free.

This Hotdoc is a website and phone application can be used to book consultations with doctors. There will be a range of different GP and specialist services on this page and some of these will offer offering phone and online consultations. 

What if I am the primary carer for a relative, close friend or housemate during this period and this is affecting my ability to complete assessments?
If your carer responsibilities are affecting your ability to prepare for and complete an assessment, you may apply for special consideration.

You will need to provide documentation that evidences your primary carer role.

Examples of evidence to support your application include:

  • a statuary declaration,
  • letter from GP, and

If you are unsure if your documentation or situation will meet the special consideration criteria, please submit the online form and documents.  When filling in the form, use the “Grounds and Documents” box to explain your situation.  The faculty Student Progress team will contact you for further information if required.


What is physical distancing?
Physical distancing can help stop or slow the spread of infectious diseases. It means less contact between you and other people. Physical distancing includes simple, everyday actions that can help contain the spread of COVID-19. These include staying home as much as possible and only going out when essential, using virtual meeting options and keeping 1.5 metres from other people. More information is available on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services’ website.

What are the symptoms?
COVID-19 symptoms can range from mild illness to pneumonia, and may include:

  • fever
  • flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and fatigue
  • shortness of breath.

More information is available on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services’ website. Please speak to a medical professional if you are concerned about your health.

What do I do if I think I have COVID-19?
If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19), the Department of Health and Human Services advises you to call the dedicated coronavirus hotline: 1800 675 398. The hotline is open 24 hours, 7 days.

If you have a sore throat, are sneezing and have a cough, you can call Wellbeing at Swinburne on +61 3 9214 8483 for an evaluation. Do not attend the clinic in person.

What should I do if I’ve been tested for COVID-19?
If you have been tested for COVID-19, you must assume you are COVID-19 positive and self-isolate until you receive a negative test result.

Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in Victoria?
The Victorian Government is testing people to better understand how COVID-19 is spreading and to prepare for the potential easing of restrictions. More information on this initiative, including the location of these testing sites and the testing process is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website.

What can I be doing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19?
There are a number of actions you can take to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community. Please refer to the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services‘ website for further information.

How do I know when I can come back to campus?
Outlined below are the three main scenarios to consider if you are planning to come back to campus:

  • If you were suspected of having COVID-19, you can attend campus once you have been provided a negative test result
  • If you were a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19, you can come to campus once you have finished your 14 day quarantine period and have a negative result from their day 11 test
  • If you were diagnosed with COVID-19, you can attend campus once you have received a clearance letter from Department of Health and Human Services

If you have any questions, please contact or for more information.


Are students required to wear face masks in the classroom?  
From 11.59pm on 17 January 2021, students will be required to only wear face masks when physical distancing cannot be maintained indoors and outdoors.

Do I need to wear a face mask or face covering on campus? 
Face masks are no longer mandatory indoors and outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained. You must continue to carry a face mask with you at all times when you leave the home, unless you have a lawful reason not to. This is in case you require your face mask, for example, if you aren't able to keep 1.5 metres distance from other people.

Is Swinburne providing face masks on campus? 
Swinburne is providing disposable face masks (subject to available supply) on campus for staff, students, contractors and visitors who are on campus for approved essential activities. However, we encourage you to supply your own mask where possible.  

Where can I collect a disposable face mask on campus?
Faculty and research technical teams will coordinate the distribution of disposable face masks through staff and teachers when needed.

Can I make my own face mask? 
Yes. You can find instructions for making your own face mask on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website.  

Where can I find more information on face masks and how to wear them? 
Information on the different types of face masks, how to wear them, how to remove them and care for your mask can be found on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website.  

What are the exemptions to wearing a face masks? 
A number of exemptions apply, including when the individual is consuming food, drinks or medication, if the individual has a medical condition and during emergency situations. Visit the Department of Health and Human Services website for a full list of exemptions.

Are lecturers and teachers required to wear face masks in the classroom? 
It is not compulsory for educators to wear face masks when teaching, but they are expected to wear a face mask before and after teaching, as well as while on breaks. Visit the Department of Health and Human Services website for further detail.


What Swinburne face masks are available for purchase? 
Our premium, reusable Swinburne branded face masks in campus-inspired designs are available for purchase individually or in packs of three. You can view the designs on the Razor online store or in the Swinburne News article.  

How can I purchase a Swinburne face mask?
Swinburne face masks are available for contactless purchase via the Razor online store for RRP $12.00 individually or RRP $30.00 for a pack of three. Every purchase helps support the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund which helps students experiencing hardship from disasters beyond their control, such as the COVID-19 situation.

Do the Swinburne face masks meet health advice specifications? 
Yes. These masks are premium reusable quality masks that meet Department of Health and Human Services recommendations. Each mask has three layers:  

  • outer layer: polyester compound, 200gsm lightweight yet durable double-knit fabric for protection from droplets 
  • middle layer filter: polypropylene non-woven inner 
  • inner layer: 100 per cent cotton, 135gsm hypoallergenic and comfortable layer with inbuilt pouch for filters. 

Each mask is washable up to 90 degrees and can be ironed. Please note, these are not medical-grade masks. We recommend wearing a mask in addition to physical distancing and other hygiene methods such as regular hand-washing.  

How were the designs of the Swinburne face masks decided?
The Swinburne face mask design elements are informed by Swinburne psychology research about the importance of creating a positive perception of the wearer. Find out more in the Swinburne News article.


Is temperature checking mandatory at Swinburne?
Starting Thursday 29 October, Swinburne will no longer be mandating temperature checking for students, staff, contractors or visitors coming onto campus. This in in response to adjusted government guidelines as a result of the reduced risk of community transmission of COVID-19 in metropolitan Melbourne.  

To continue to provide a level of health support, self-serve temperature checking stations have been installed on campus for those choose to have their temperatures checked. These stations will not be staffed but are simple to use and easy to follow instructions will be made available. 

Who is required to have their temperature checked?
Temperature checking is optional across all three campuses for students, staff, contractors and visitors coming onto campus for approved essential activities.  

However, where physical distancing cannot be achieved and high-risk cohorts are involved, such as students who work in aged care settings or researchers working in a lab where physical distancing isn’t feasible, temperature checking will remain mandatory. These checks will be conducted by the teacher, researcher or person responsible for the activity using a handheld thermometer.  

Where and when can I get my temperature checked?
Self-serve temperature checking stations have been installed on campus at the following locations:
- Croydon Cafeteria
- Wantirna Cafeteria
- Hawthorn (two locations) GS Building, Lift Foyer, Ground Floor and the Atrium

These stations will not be staffed but are simple to use and easy to follow instructions will be made available.  

What is the process to get my temperature checked? 
- Use the hand sanitiser provided at the self-serve temperature checking stations and keep your face masks on.
- Approach the scanner and stand on the marked spot.
- If a normal temperature is recorded, the scanner will display a green light and a voice will indicate that you have been approved to access campus.
- If an abnormal temperature is recorded, the scanner will display a red light and a voice will indicate that you are not approved to proceed onto campus. Please contact Wellbeing at Swinburne on (03) 9214 8483 for further instructions.

How will the temperature checking stations be made safe for everyone?
The self-serve stations are contactless and hand sanitisers will be made available for those getting their temperatures checked at these stations. You will also need to keep your face mask on when getting your temperature checked (the machine will prompt you to wear your mask if you don’t have one on). 

Self-assessment and contact tracing

Why do I need to complete this health declaration?
The Department of Health and Human Services requires wellness declarations to be completed to screen people before coming into a workplace. In line with this requirement, Swinburne has launched a self-assessment tool within the Swinburne App. This tool will support the safe transition to campus of our students, staff and stakeholders, and assist with contact tracing.
Is it mandatory to complete the self-assessment before coming to campus?
Yes. Capturing attendance records and completing the self-assessment is a condition of coming to campus and is mandatory. This enables the university to manage the risk of COVID-19 to the Swinburne community and to comply with its obligations under the directions set out by the Victorian Government. 

What will happen if I don’t comply and complete the self-assessment?
You cannot attend campus if you don’t complete the self-assessment each day prior to coming to campus. If you attend campus and haven’t completed the self-assessment, you will be asked to complete it immediately and ensure it is completed prior to attending campus in future. Students who refuse to complete the self-assessment and attend campus will receive an initial warning. If this continues, a formal misconduct process will commence. Completing the self-assessment before attending campus plays a critical role in protecting Swinburne’s community by minimising the risk of COVID-19 transmission and it ensures that Swinburne remains compliant with applicable laws and regulations. Please note that Swinburne may be subject to penalties, including fines, for instances of non-compliance.

When do I need to complete this self-assessment tool?
Starting 29 October, students permitted to come on campus are required to complete the self-assessment tool prior to attending Swinburne’s campuses. To complete this tool, you will need to download the Swinburne App on your phone. The self-assessment tool is in the Swinburne App on the ‘Access to campus’ page and must be completed each day before coming to campus. As a result, you are no longer required to use the QR code to check in at the temperature checking stations on arrival.

Once on campus, you must connect to Swinburne’s wifi network ‘eduroam’ and use your swipe cards to enter buildings on campus.

I am a student and I can’t download the Swinburne App to use the self-assessment tool. What should I do?
Please contact Student HQ on 1300 794 628 if you are a student having technical difficulties. If you are still unable to download the Swinburne app, you are required to complete the self-assessment and your attendance details using the online form.

Is it mandatory to log into Swinburne’s wifi network ‘eduroam’?
Yes, it is mandatory for staff and students to log into the eduroam network when on campus. This will support Swinburne’s efforts to effectively contact trace if required and keep our community safe

What will happen if I don’t comply and log into eduroam when on campus?
You cannot attend campus if you do not log into Swinburne’s eduroam network when on campus. Students who do not comply will receive an initial warning. If this continues, a formal misconduct process will commence. Logging into eduroam when on campus plays an important role in keeping our community safe by ensuring Swinburne can effectively contact trace if required.

Do I need to bring my student swipe card to campus?
Yes. You will need your swipe card to access buildings on campus. This will also assist with our contact tracing efforts if required.

Who will have access to my responses and where will this information be stored?
This self-assessment tool has been developed to prioritise the health, safety and wellbeing of our Swinburne community. All data captured in the self-assessment tool, the eduroam network and swipe card technology will be managed according to Swinburne’s privacy policy. Data will be used for critical public health reasons, such as contact tracing, at the request of the Department of Health and Human Services. 

What are the questions asked on the self-assessment tool?
The questions are a check to confirm that you are able to come on to campus because you:
- do not have any COVID-19 symptoms;
- are not supposed to be isolating; and
- have not been in contact with a COVID-19 positive case in the past 14 days
Upon completing the self-assessment tool, you will receive a message advising whether you have been approved to attend campus on that day. The direction provided is only relevant for one day.

What happens if I accidentally submit the declaration with the wrong response to a question?
You are asked to answer three questions in the health declaration prior to coming to campus and will be given three attempts to complete the self-assessment tool. If you accidentally choose a wrong response, you can resubmit your answers for up to three times.

What happens if I have completed the self-assessment tool but have not been approved to come on campus?
If you have not received approval to come on campus, please contact Wellbeing at Swinburne. In the interim:

- If you are experiencing symptoms, you must seek medical attention and stay home
- If you are required to be isolating, you must isolate at home until advised otherwise
- If you have been in contact with a positive COVID-19 case in the past 14 days, you must be isolating at home until you are advised otherwise


What facilites are open?
Our learning and research activities are continuing. The health, safety and wellbeing of our community is Swinburne’s priority. Swinburne staff are advised to continue to work from home where possible, until 1 February 2021.

Wellbeing at Swinburne (Medical Centre) will resume face-to-face operations on all campuses on Monday 14 December, with most services available Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Staff and students are welcome to phone the Hawthorn Health Service to schedule a telephone or face-to-face appointment with a GP, and to access counselling and mental health services. Phone (03) 9214 8483.

For students and staff who may require non-urgent medical attention or advice there are resources available such as

  1. Nurse-On-Call Ph. 1300 60 60 24 from anywhere in Victoria for free health advice, 24 hours a day. Nurse-On-Call puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health advice.
  2. Local general medical practices.

If there is a medical emergency of campus, staff should call 000 or security on 3333 (9214 3333).

The Out-of-Hours Crisis Line is available from 5.00pm-9.00am Monday - Friday and 24 hours weekends and public holidays. Ph: 1300 854 144 or SMS: 0488 884 145.

Are Libraries and LateLabs open?
Libraries and LateLabs will not be reopening for the remainder of 2020.

However, online collections are available 24/7 at and our librarians are still here to help you, please contact us at or call 1300 794 628. The returns chutes at all three campuses remain open.

The library and studentHQ at Hawthorn are open providing some limited services such as the provision of documents and student ID cards via appointment only - please contact us at or call 1300 794 628. 

Is the multi faith facility open?
Our multi faith facility remains closed until Monday, 1 February 2021.
Are studios open on campus?
No, campus studios have been closed until further notice. This includes edit suites and studios, colour grading suites, audio mix and mastering suites, audio production studios, TV and edit studios, team production suites and the animation studio.

Can I still hire media production equipment on campus?
No, media production equipment hire has paused until further notice. If you have any questions about current loans, please visit the media store section of our website.

What do I do if I have technical issues at home?
Our Rovers are still available to provide tech support remotely. Please contact the team at or phone +61 3 9214 8591.

What software is available to help me with my online studies?
Swinburne has a range of free software available to help you with your studies, including the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office 365 and Canvas.

To further support your online learning experience, Apps on Demand is now available for all students and staff. It will provide you with remote access to a range of Swinburne applications previously available in our Mac and Windows computer labs at the Hawthorn campus.

Apps On-Demand can be accessed via your preferred web browser or from the Citrix Workspace app.


Will graduations in 2020 take place?
Unfortunately, due to the current COVID-19 situation and government restrictions, we are unable to proceed with graduation ceremonies in 2020. We are currently working actively to make arrangements for 2021 graduation ceremonies. We will communicate information regarding future ceremonies to eligible students as soon as possible.

Can I attend a future ceremony in person?
Yes. With the easing of restrictions, we have been able to resume planning for 2021 graduation ceremonies. Our plans are based on current COVIDSafe protocols and Victorian Government directives, and are subject to change to meet current government directives. At present we are planning to offer:

  • March 2021 - smaller ceremonies due to COVID-19 density restrictions, which include limited numbers, no catering, and restrictions that limit you to two guests.
  • June 2021, August 2021 and December 2021 - planned ceremonies plus some additional dates in line with COVIDSafe protocols and directives, see below:
2021 graduation ceremony dates, subject to change to meet government directives:
  • March graduation ceremony - 29 March 2021
  • June graduation ceremony - 23 June 2021
  • August graduation ceremonies - 24 and 25 August 2021 
  • December graduation ceremonies - 20 and 21 December 2021
If I am unable to graduate on time due to the current situation, will Swinburne provide support?
If the duration of your studies needs to be extended due to measures associated with COVID-19, Swinburne will reissue a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) extension as long as you maintain your enrolment.
I was due to graduate at the end of the year. How will this affect me?

While the formal graduation ceremony currently scheduled for December 2020 will not be going ahead, your award will still be conferred, meaning that you will officially complete your course shortly after you receive your final results.
Can I collect my official documents including my Testamur and Academic Transcript?
Official documents including your Testamur and Academic Transcript will be available digitally and graduands will be notified as soon as they are available.


I am worried about someone’s physical or mental health  – what can I do to help?
There are simple steps you can take to show your concern for others and offer assistance:

  1. Check in - invite the person to have a chat. Given current restrictions, this could be by phone or video chat. Express care and concern - ask if they’re ok and express concern for their wellbeing. Avoid assumptions or judgment. Show kindness.
  2. Enquire and encourage - ask if they have consulted a medical professional. Where appropriate, encourage them to seek professional care and advice.

What is family violence?
Family violence includes any behaviour that is threatening, coercive or dominating which causes family members to fear for the safety and wellbeing of themselves or another person. Family violence is not always physical, it might be behaviour that puts you down, makes you feel worthless or controls you. Find out more about how to recognise family violence. 

Times of stress and hardship, including the COVID-19 pandemic, are never an excuse for abusive behaviour. 

What should I do if I or someone I know is experiencing family violence?
If you or someone you know is hurt or in immediate danger, call 000. If you are on campus, call Swinburne Security on + 61 3 9214 3333 for important but non-life-threatening incidents.

Swinburne offers support services for students experiencing family violence. Visit our family violence support page for more information on internal and external support services available.

Is there financial support available for victims-survivors of family violence as a result of the COVID-19 situation?
The federal government has provided $150 million to support Australians experiencing domestic, family and sexual violence during the COVID-19 pandemic.

You can apply for a No-Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) of up to $2,000 with Swinburne’s partner, Good Shepherd Microfinance, to help you during this time.

Make an appointment online with a student equity adviser or call us on +61 3 9214 8444 to discuss a NILS loan.


  1. International student FAQs
  2. Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
  3. Department of Health
  4. Smartraveller website
  5. Department of Education (factsheets for universities and vocational education facilities)

You can also call the National Coronavirus Help Line on 1800 020 080. It operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.

Are students required to wear face masks in the classroom?
Yes. From 5pm on 31 December 2020, a fitted face mask must be worn in public indoor spaces.