Web accessibility complaints procedure
The Swinburne University of Technology website was designed to ensure its information and services are provided in a non-discriminatory accessible manner. All complaints about the accessibility of the Swinburne website will be investigated by the Marketing Services and Technology department and the outcome will be communicated to the complainant.
Users who feel that some part of the Swinburne website does not comply with W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines are encouraged to lodge a complaint with Swinburne Marketing via our Feedback form (select Website from the 'Topic' dropdown).
When a complaint is received, the Swinburne Marketing team will conduct a preliminary investigation to determine whether the complaint is bona fide and has merit.
This investigation may involve some or all of the following:
- an attempt to duplicate the problem being encountered by the user via the use of a web browser and assistive technologies such as Jaws
- identifying the cause of the problem
- use of an accessibility testing tool such Wave
- verification that the page does belong to Swinburne
- seeking further information from the complainant where required
- obtaining advice from relevant Swinburne staff and external organisations, such as the Vision Australia.
If the Marketing team believes that the matter does not require further attention, they will contact the complainant and inform them of the reasons for not pursuing the matter further.
If the Marketing team deems that the matter warrants further attention, they will:
- conduct an audit of the page or website to identify compliance problems and solutions
- provide the complainant and the maintainer of the site with a copy of the audit report
- establish a timeline for addressing the accessibility issues
- make changes to update the site
- after updating the site, the Marketing team will inform the complainant that their concerns have been satisfactorily resolved.
Want to know more about our accessibility services for students?
At Swinburne, we offer a range of reasonable adjustments to assist in your studies. Discover how our AccessAbility Services can help you achieve your academic goals.
Want to make a complaint or provide feedback?
Swinburne University of Technology is committed to providing a positive educational experience. We appreciate and value your feedback.