Swinburne rises in Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Thursday 12 September 2019
- Swinburne's rank continues to rise in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- Swinburne is ranked at 389 in the 2020 rankings, compared to 441 the previous year
- The improvement is in part attributed to Swinburne’s strong focus on high-quality research
Swinburne has ranked in the top 400 of the world’s best universities in the 2020 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
Swinburne places at 389th overall, which is up 52 places from the previous year’s rankings, positioning Swinburne in the top three per cent of universities worldwide.
Swinburne’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Development) Professor Aleksandar Subic says this year marks the first time that Swinburne has ranked in the top 400 in all three major rankings.
“This outstanding outcome is the result of Swinburne’s comprehensive strategy driven by research excellence, internationalisation and impact,” says Professor Subic.
This year Swinburne has improved its position in a number of globally recognised rankings.
- The QS World University Rankings ranked Swinburne in the top 400 universities globally, improving its 2018 position by 4 places to 383rd
- The Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked Swinburne in the top 370 of the world’s universities, climbing 19 places from 2018 to 367th
- Swinburne had two new subjects included and eight subjects improve on last year’s position in the ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
Swinburne’s world-leading and internationally recognised research is reflected in recent initiatives, including:
- The launch of the Australian Research Council (ARC) Training Centre in Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials (SEAM), the largest manufacturing research and development centre of its kind in Australia
- The first Cloud Innovation Centre in the Southern Hemisphere, a partnership between Swinburne and Amazon Web Services
- The launch of a new global Blockchain Centre of Excellence in partnership with Capgemini
- Playing a key role in the new Cooperative Research Centre for Smart Satellite Technologies and Analytics – the SmartSat CRC
- A Cooperative Research Centre Project, valued at over $2 million, to develop new technology to allow live monitoring of milk supply chains
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings judge research-intensive universities across five core pillars: Teaching, Research, Knowledge Transfer and International Outlook.
Swinburne improved in many areas in the 2020 rankings including citations, research income, publications and research reputation.