Ms Tracy Young
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Education
- AS327 Hawthorn campus
Teaching within both the higher education and vocational tertiary sector has enabled Tracy to combine earlier experience in the field of early childhood education, with skills as a leader, advocate and researcher. Tracy has developed extensive knowledge and interest in a number of key teaching areas, including environmental sustainability, early childhood science, curriculum and pedagogy, leadership and professional identity and theories of teaching and learning.
Tracy’s work is sustained by a commitment to social and ecological justice and seeks to understand how power structures are reinforced through the political, social and cultural effects of education. Thus, her research is concerned with broad and intersecting themes of education, humanism and critical posthumanism. Recent research aligns three disciplines: early childhood education, environmental education, and human-animal studies that explores the connections and disjunctions of children’s relations with animals in family homes and early childhood education within a critical posthuman theoretical framework. In this research the complex relations with children, animals and environments provide a space for ethical inquiry that troubles how animal species are socially constructed, culturally reproduced and positioned in early childhood education. Postqualitative methodologies invite creative practices in her research including theorising with critical posthumanist, ecofeminist, postcolonial and new materialist philosophies. Tracy’s research contributes to wider understandings about the significance of early childhood education in terms of relationality with the human and the more-than-human. Tracy is the co-editor of a forthcoming international ChildhoodNatures Research Handbook section on child/animal relations, to be published by Springer in 2019.
Education; Early childhood education; Environmental education; Human-animal studies
Fields of Research
- Early Childhood Education (excl. Maori) - 130102
- Specialist Studies In Education Not Elsewhere Classified - 130399
- Curriculum And Pedagogy Theory And Development - 130202
Early childhood Education;Environmental Sustainability;Teaching and Learning Theories
- 2014, Other, Frank Fisher Memorial Conference Award, Victorian Association of Environmental Education
- 2011, National, Barbara Creaser Memorial Lecture award. , Early Childhood Australia
- 2008, Swinburne, Swinburne Industry Synergy Awards , Swinburne University of Technology
- 2008, National, Jean Denton Memorial Scholarship , Flinders University
Also published as: Young, Tracy; Young, T.; Young, Tracy Charlotte
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display