Associate Professor Simone Taffe
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Communication Design and Digital Media Design
- AMDC711 Hawthorn campus
Simone Taffe is Associate Professor in Communication Design at Swinburne University of Technology. Simone has a Diploma of Graphic Design from Swinburne 1988, a Master of Arts (Design) from RMIT 2000 and a PhD from Swinburne 2012. Simone lectures in the areas of branding and identity and co-design. Simone worked as a graphic designer and design manager for over fifteen years, including managing the City of Melbourne’s design department, overseeing the council’s branding program and managing branding projects for the leading Melbourne design consultancy Flett Henderson Arnold (now Futurebrand), being involved in design work for the Sydney Olympic branding program, BHP Biliton, and the ANZ bank.
For ten years, Associate Professor Taffe has tailored problem-based learning to suit design students, across all levels and capabilities. Associate Professor Taffe was instrumental in establishing the Swinburne Design Factory, providing an international authentic learning platform for multi-disciplined student teams. Her students work with genuine clients and real-world design scenarios, including branding, websites, games and service designs, so that they are equipped to excel in the workplace.
Associate Professor Taffe leads a postgraduate Hit Submit writing program, significantly raising publication rates. Her sustained commitment to problem-based learning in design education has led to university-wide outstanding teacher recognition, a 2013 Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award (Higher Education), a 2014 Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT) Citation and a 2017 Australian Award for Teaching Excellence (AAUT).
Simone's research is in co-design and end-user participation in the design process.
The impact of participatory design on the communication design process in respect to public information campaigns.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Design Management And Studio And Professional Practice - 120303
- Design Innovation - 120302
- Visual Communication Design (incl. Graphic Design) - 120307
Also published as: Taffe, Simone; Taffe, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Investigating the influence on co-design on the role of designer (Fan Art) *; VILLAGE CINEMAS
- 2017: Visualising Community Experiences: Boroondara Customer Journey Mapping Co-design Research Project *; Boroondara City Council
- 2016: Designing the future of the cinema with end-user research *; VILLAGE CINEMAS
- 2015: Audience research and concept development of Nom Nom phone game *; VILLAGE CINEMAS
- 2010: Melbourne fire brigade kids' zone information project *; Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display