Dr Simone Battiston
PhD, La Trobe University, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- AS313 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Simone is senior lecturer of Italian Studies and History. His position is partly sponsored by the Cassamarca Foundation. His research examines different aspects of postwar Italian emigration, with a particular attention to the Australian context: external voting behaviour, history and memory of radical migrants, migrant media history and history of workers and entrepreneurs in the building and construction industry, especially terrazzo and mosaic artisans.
He has published widely, including scholarly articles in Modern Italy, Australian Journal of Politics and History, Australian Journal of Political Science, Journal of Australian Studies, Studi Storici, Media History, History of Education, Diaspora: A Journal of Transnational Studies, People and Place, and Altreitalie. His monograph, Immigrants Turned Activists: Italians in 1970s Melbourne, was published by Troubador Publishing, UK (Italian Studies Series), 2012. He is an executive member of the Australian Migration History Network (AMHN), and a member of the Australian Historical Association (AHA) and of the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History (ASSLH).
Simone is the recipient of the 2001 Honours Thesis Award (Friuli-Venetia Julia Regional Government) and the 2007 PhD Thesis Award, Giovanni Agnelli Foundation-Altreitalie Research Centre.
He is the Course Director of the Bachelor of Arts.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Historical Studies - 210300
History;Languages: Chinese, Italian and Japanese
- 2007, International, PhD Thesis Award , Giovanni Agnelli Foundation-Altreitalie Research Centre
- 2001, International, Honours Thesis Award, Friuli-Venetia Julia Regional Government, Italy
Also published as: Battiston, Simone; Battiston, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2014: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2014 - Dr Javier Pablo Grossutti *; Visiting Researcher Scheme
- 2010: Diaspora philanthropy in Australia: a preliminary critique *; Researcher Development Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2018-12-06: Come hanno votato gli italiani all'estero? - SBS Radio (Italian Program)
- 2018-11-03: An "Autopsy" to better understand how the the vote of Italians abroad died - La Voce di New York
- 2017-10-11: Languages face funding hit - The Australian
- 2016-11-25: Referendum costituzionale: all'estero è tempo di votare - SBS Radio (Italian Program)
- 2008-11-23: Italian Job Interview - Radio Nationals Background Briefing program.
- 2008-04-14: Italian elections: Expat backlash and disinterest from Australia - Radio Nationals Perspectives program
- 2008-04-12: Luigi ready for the half-world stage - The Australian
- 2008-04-12: The forum lies distant, but Australias Italian politicos fight the good fight - The Age