Associate Professor Monica Thielking
Doctor of Psychology (Counselling Psychology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Psychology (Honours, 1st Class), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Arts (Psychology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Arts (Youth Affairs), RMIT, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Health Sciences
- Department of Psychological Sciences
- ATC927 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Associate Professor Monica Thielking is a registered Psychologist and PsyBA approved Supervisor. She is an internationally renowned researcher in the areas of school psychology and the cross-sector impacts of childhood trauma and disadvantage on families and individuals. She leads pioneering industry-connected research that has national and international implications for shifting public policy and informing service delivery for vulnerable populations, with a particular research interest in youth mental health, school psychological service delivery, ethical school psychological practice and understanding how trauma, poverty and disadvantage impacts youth outcomes in schools and other youth settings.
Prior to coming to Swinburne, Monica worked at the Australian Psychological Society as the Psychologists in Schools Advisor. Monica was the founder and inaugural Convenor of the APS Psychologists in Schools Interest Group, of which she is still a member. In 2014, Monica joined the Department of Psychological Sciences and soon took a leadership role in the Department of Psychological Sciences as Postgraduate Programs Coordinator. She is now also the Deputy Chair of the Department of Psychological Sciences.
Monica engages extensively with education, community, forensic and other professional stakeholders in a range of capacities. She is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Psychologists and Counsellors in Schools and the Educational and Developmental Psychologist.
In 2015 Monica accepted the invitation to Co-Chair the American Psychological Association's Division 52 International Psychology Programming at the APA Convention in Toronto, and was Chair of the Programming Committee in Denver, Colorado in 2016. In 2017 she co-edited the Handbook of Australian School Psychology (Springer), which has quadrupled the discipline average in downloads in its first year of publication.
Monica supervises PhD, Masters and Honours students on related areas of research.
youth homelessness; school psychology; service integration; education equity
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Developing a local emotional competence programme for pre-schoolers in Singapore
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) with Children
Journey to Social Inclusion
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Educational Psychology - 170103
- Health And Community Services - 111708
- Mental Health - 111714
- 2015, Swinburne, FHAD Dean's Leadership Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2002, Swinburne, SUPRA, Swinburne Uiniversity of Technology
Also published as: Thielking, Monica; Thielking, M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Brimbank Young Researchers Project Evaluation *; Brimbank City Council
- 2018: Supporting homeless individuals with a history of brain injury: Assessing knowledge and building skills among frontline workers *; MercyFoundation
- 2017: Insights into contemporary young offender behaviour in Victoria *; National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council
- 2015: Journey to Social Inclusion (J2SI) Project Mark II *; Journey to Social Inclusion
- 2015: Standardization and validation of a measure of sleep problems among youth internationally *; St. John's University
- 2014: Early Stage Homelessness in School Early Attending Young People *; Anchor Inc Youth and Community
- 2014: Social Inclusion Assessment Tool - Standpoint Project *; Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Programme
- 2012: Student Wellbeing Project - Stage *; Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- 2012: TFY The Geelong Project *; Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- 2011: Homelessness and health services integration study *; University of New South Wales
* Chief Investigator
- 2015-06-09: A Mooroolbark woman tells of her struggle on the streets as a teen and how youth workers helped save her life - Herald Sun
- 2015-06-09: Only 'home' at school - Leader
- 2015-06-06: A new study reveals some homeless Yarra Ranges youth first run away at age 10 and half slept rough - Herald Sun
- 2015-06-02: Couch surfing teenagers dont seek help, finds study - ABC World Today
- 2015-06-02: Couchsurfing teenagers don't seek homeless help, finds study - ABC World Today
- 2015-06-02: New report highlights importance role school of teachers and counsellors in tackling secondary school homelessness - The University of Western Australia
- 2015-06-02: Runaways as young as 10 who couch surf do not regard themselves as homeless or seek support, research finds - ABC News
- 2015-06-02: Swinburne report into couch surfing secondary students highlights key role teachers play in tackling young homelessness - Swinburne University of Technology
- 2015-06-01: Students run away from home but try to stay at school - The Age
- 2015-03-09: Most homeless youth coming straight from state care: survey - Australian Policy Online
- 2015-03-06: The cost of youth homelessness in Australia - Victorian Council of Social Service
- 2015-02-27: Homeless teenagers take cover with the help of cubby houses - Brisbane Times
- 2015-02-20: Young homeless hit hard by health problems - Australian Doctor
- 2015-02-20: Youth 'driven from home' - Tasmanian Examiner
- 2015-02-19: Report exposes problems of youth homelessness - Noodls
- 2015-02-17: Costs of Youth Homelessness Revealed - Report - Pro Bono Australia
- 2015-02-17: Homeless study suggests interventions for school-aged young people who cannot go home - ABC News
- 2015-02-17: What it's like to be 16 and homeless - ABC Online
- 2015-02-16: Violence in family home triggers youth homelessness - The Age