Dr Michelle H Lim
- Centre for Mental Health
- Office of PVC Student Advancement
- GS204 Hawthorn campus
Dr Lim is a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology and leads the Social Connectedness Laboratory. Dr Lim is interested in how subjective loneliness can negatively impact social functioning and exacerbate mental health symptoms (e.g., social anxiety, depression and paranoia). Her research has focused on reducing loneliness in young people with first episode psychosis and, or social anxiety disorder, as well as older adults. Dr Lim’s interest extend to the development and implementation of personalised mental health, cognitive biases in psychopathology, subclinical psychotic symptoms, decision-making and emotion regulation processes.
Dr Lim is a registered clinical psychologist and a board approved supervisor for the Psychology Board of Australia. She currently holds multiple research collaborations with Washington University in St Louis, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), the University of Melbourne, and Australian Catholic University. Dr Lim is the chair of the Australian Coalition to End Loneliness scientific advisory committee, which guides Australian charities and government agencies and not-for-profit organisations to deliver evidence-based community messaging and interventions in loneliness.
Clinical Psychology; Social Psychology
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Psychology - 170100
Also published as: Lim, Michelle; Lim, M.; Lim, M. H.; Lim, Michelle H.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: 2018 Visiting Fellowships Scheme - ProfessorJulianne Holt-Lunstad *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2017: A digital prototype addressing loneliness in older adults *; Relationships Australia (Victoria)
- 2017: ENTOURAGE: An interactive e-mentoring program to assist young men overcome social anxiety *; MOVEMBER FOUNDATION SOCIAL INNOVATORS CHALLENGE
- 2017: Evaluation of Be Connected: a Digital Literacy for Older Australians Project -RFQ No. 70009747 *; Department of Social Services
- 2016: Digitally Assisted Peer Support (DAPS) for Young People with Emerging Mental Health Problems: A Novel Model of Technology-Enhanced Peer Work *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2016: Evaluating a Novel Smartphone-Assisted Coping Strategy Intervention for Distressing Voices The SAVVy Study *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2016: One size does not fit all: Developing a personalised, modular treatment for young people in social recovery *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2015: A pilot group intervention targeting loneliness in young people diagnosed with depression *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2014: A pilot online intervention aimed at reducing loneliness for people diagnosed with mental disorders *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
* Chief Investigator
- 2018-01-19: Loneliness - ABC Mornings with Vanessa Mills
- 2018-01-01: Trust me I'm an expert: Risk - The Conversation
- 2017-11-23: How to cope with loneliness this Christmas - Good Health
- 2017-10-15: We need to talk about loneliness - Sunday Extra ABC Radio
- 2017-08-09: The health tragedies of being lonely – and its effect worldwide. - MIMS Today
- 2017-08-07: Loneliness is a greater epidemic than obesity: study - The New Daily
- 2017-06-29: Feeling lonely? It could be affect your health. - Breakfast with John and Garry: Talking Lifestyle Radio
- 2017-05-02: Anxiety - Awkward Questions UK: WIZARD Radio Station and newsPeeks
- 2017-05-01: The health impacts of loneliness - HCF Health
- 2017-04-16: Social Media and Young People - Channel Ten News: Ten Eyewitness News
- 2017-04-15: Even with Facebook, millennials are the loneliest generation - Fairfax Media
- 2016-09-30: Death by loneliness - Breakfast On Radio Adelaide
- 2016-07-08: Loneliness can increase your risk of mental health issues - www.sciencealert.com/loneliness-can-increase-your-risk-of-mental-health-issues-scientists-find
- 2016-06-02: How do we tackle loneliness? - Mornings Institute: 702 Mornings with Wendy Harmer
- 2016-05-05: The hidden toll of loneliness – and how to fight it. - Nine MSN
- 2016-02-14: Not much love for Valentine’s Day - Fairfax Media
- 2015-08-15: Using digital technology to reach out to people with a mental illness - Mornings
- 2015-07-07: Beat the vicious cycle of solitude - Herald Sun
- 2015-07-07: Loneliness - Afternoons