Professor Jock Given
PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia; Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland, Australia; Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland, Australia; Bachelor of Commerce, university of Queensland, Australia; Bachelor of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- EW104 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Jock Given researches, writes and teaches about media and communications policy, business, law and history. His work has been published in Telecommunications Policy, Journal of Information Policy, Media and Communication, Business History, Media History, Australian Economic History Review, Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television and Historical Records of Australian Science. His radio documentaries 'Crawfords: Television for the People' and 'Empire State: Ernest Fisk and the World Wide Wireless' were first broadcast by ABC Radio National's Hindsight program in 2014 and 2012. He is a member of the international editorial board of Telecommunications Policy (Elsevier) and a founding associate editor of International Journal of Digital Television (Intellect). Jock previously worked as Director of the Communications Law Centre, Policy Advisor at the Australian Film Commission and Director, Legislation and Industry Economics in the Australian Department of Transport and Communications.
Media and communications policy and history; Broadcasting; Media ownership; Digital TV and radio; Broadband; International trade agreements
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Media and communications policy, business, law and history: Includes publishing, radio, television and online video, cinema; audiovisual production and distribution; multinational media, communications, internet and IT business; international trade in media and communications services
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Communication Technology And Digital Media Studies - 200102
- Historical Studies - 210300
Communication, Journalism and Media Studies;media law
Also published as: Given, Jock; Given, J.; Given, Donald; Given, D.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2015: Spectrum after Scarcity: Rethinking Radiofrequency Management *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2010: Imperial Designs: Remaking the Institutions of Global Communications *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2010: Spreading Fictions: Distributing Stories in the Online Age *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2019-11-13: Academics call for 5G legislation reform - Communications Day
- 2019-08-20: Ernest Fisk - Broadcasting Centenary - ABC Local Radio, Sydney
- 2019-08-13: Music by Wireless:100th anniversary of the ‘first’ Australian wireless broadcast - ABC Radio National 'Late Night Live'
- 2017-06-16: Channel Ten's near death experience shows TV as we knew it is in terminal decline - The Guardian
- 2017-06-14: Ten Network goes into voluntary administration - The Guardian
- 2017-05-09: Media reforms: and the winner is? - Late Night Live, ABC Radio National
- 2016-08-01: Media Business - Qantas Talking Business
- 2016-04-19: Regulating the Media in a Changing Environment - The Policy Shop
- 2016-03-02: Media ownership rules to change - ABC Radio National Late Night Live
- 2015-06-11: TV 2025 - Interview with Jock Given - Screenrights
- 2015-05-26: Industry ponders the future of televisio - IF
- 2015-05-26: Swinburne University's Television 2025 report looks at industry's future as Netflix, NBN bring change - 774 ABC Melbourne
- 2015-05-21: TV streams into the future - Inside Story
- 2014-07-06: Crawfords- Television for the people - ABC Radio National
- 2014-07-02: Did the networks kill Homicide? - Inside Story
- 2014-05-16: Bringing the ABC back home - Inside Story
- 2014-05-07: Heads or Tails - Inside Story
- 2014-05-06: Game Changers - Inside Story
- 2013-10-22: Turning off the television - Inside Story
- 2013-09-06: The adaptable country - Inside Story