Dr Gavin Melles
MSc Sustainable Development, SOAS London Universty, United Kingdom; Ed.D, Deakin University, Australia; M. Linguistics (Research), University of Costa Rica, Costa Rica; B.Arts, Auckland University, New Zealand
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Urban Transitions
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Interior Architecture and Industrial Design
- AMDC904 Hawthorn campus
Dr Gavin Melles is a Associate Professor of Sustainability and Social Innovation at Swinburne School of Design.
- Dr Melles has researcher (CI) and PhD supervisor roles in several Collaborative Research Centre (Interdisciplinary Industry-Government-Academia) projects - including the CRC for Low Carbon Living, CRC for Bushfire and Natural Hazards, and the AutoCRC EV Bus Malaysia. The HERDC assigned grants total over AU $1 Million
- He has been recipient of multiple international fellowship grants from the German Government (Deutsche Akademische Austausch Dienst, 2010), the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF, 2011), the Exploratory Research Space at RWTH Aachen, HCI Research Center (2012), a nominated fellowship at the Edinburgh University Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities (2016) in the UK. He also held a one year (2012-2013) Swedish Higher Education Research Collaboration Grant (STINT) with Associate Professor Stefan Holmild, Linköping University. Most recently he was awarded a GIAN (MHRD, India) teaching fellowshipto NIT Silcha (Assam, India)
- He has had Government NCP and Asian Bound and industry funding totalling $100,000 (2015-2018) for Study Tour Mobility to India
- He assesses for the Australian Research Council (ARC), Ministry of Education (MoE) Singapore Government Grant Assessor, EURIAS Fellowships, Schweizer Nationalfonds (SNF, Switzerland), Leverhulme Trust (UK), and is international examiner of PhDs in Germany, Australia, Colombia and New Zealand
- He is affiliated with the Australia India Institute,the Social Accounting Network & Centre for Social Inititaive and Management (India), Centre for Urban Transitions and the Centre for Design Innovation at Swinburne University.
- His current PhD students and research projects address the process of designing innovations in various sustainability contexts
- He also consults to industry and community in various capacities and has worked for UN Convention on Biological Diversity (UNCBD) on Gender & Diversity Review, the Athena SAGE Gender & Equity Awards, School of Social Entrepreneurs (SSE, Australia), SRESTI UN Summer Camp (India), and as reviewer for WISE of the IDEO Report on Thinking and Acting Like A Designer: How Design Thinking Supports Innovation In K-12 Education.
Sociological Methodology and Research Methods; Strategic & Transformative Design: Design Thinking and Complexity; Strategic & Transformative Design: Design Research Education; Public Good Design
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Designing Social Innovation: Design methods and approaches are playing an increasing role in social innovation. What are the challenges for design in addressing such complex issues?
Sustainable Urban Regeneration: Globally there is increasing need for cities to regenerate neighbourhoods for sustainable development. How can human-centred design play a role in informing architecture and urban planning initiatives?
System Dynamics Approaches to Sustainability Transitions: System Dynamics approaches to sustainability transitions offer a way to experiment with the factors and parameters of change in urban and rural settings. Using causal loop diagrams (CLD) and stock and flow simulations you will demonstrate where points of leverage exist for intervention
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
Postgraduate Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in Australia: The need for quality postgraduate ESD courses in Australia and globally is clear. To what extent do such courses address strong and weak approaches to sustainability?
Social Accounting and Audit: Social Accounting and Auditing aims to embed social impact assessment and organisational improvement into NGOs, social enterprises and other organisations. What theories of action (TOC) do such accounts reveal?
Fields of Research
- Design Innovation - 120302
- Other Built Environment And Design - 129900
- Curriculum And Pedagogy Theory And Development - 130202
Social impact;Strategic & Transformative Design: Design Research Education;Strategic & Transformative Design: Design Thinking and Complexity;Strategic & Transformative Design: Sustainability
- 2018, International, Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN) India. INR800,00 (AU$16,000), NIT Silchar and Indian Government
- 2017, National, NCP Mobility Grant - Designing Social Innovation ($27,500) collaboration with IIT Madras, Swinburne University
- 2016, International, Institue for Advanced Studies in Humanities (IASH) Nominated Fellowship, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh University
- 2016, International, Chingari Small Grant Scheme ($2500) - Accounting for social impact in Indian social enterprise – a comparative case study of social accounting and audit in India, Australia-India Institue
- 2014, Swinburne, Researcher Development Grant Scheme ($3000) , Swinburne University
- 2014, National, Asia Bound Mobility Grant ($21,500), Australian Government
- 2012, International, Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Higher Education (STINT) Research Collaboration Initiation Grant ($22,000), Swedish Government
- 2012, International, HCI Center, RWTH Aachen. Exploratory Research Space (ERS) Seed Fund Grant. Visiting Researcher (3955 Euros), RTWH Aachen
- 2011, International, Schweizer National Fonds Project # 136303. Forschung als Design. Eine kritische Analyse eines Ansatzes der Designforschung (Research as Design. Critical analysis of a design research approach Visiting Professor. FHNW Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz ($10,04, Swiss National Research Fund
- 2010, International, DAAD) Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists Program. A/09/11786 Referat 424. Amount EUR 4,428 ($AU 6,640) . Examining Design Research and Education in Germany, DAAD (German Government)
Also published as: Melles, Gavin; Melles, G.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2016: A sociological analysis of low carbon food waste practices *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2014: Increasing knowledge and motiviating collaborative action on Low Carbon Living through team-based and game-based mobile learning *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2014: Integrated Human-Centred Design approachin developing the modular EV Bus driveline system for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2020(Student Agreement Postgrad for Jung-Ok (Jo) Kuys) *; AutoCRC
- 2014: Media and communication strategies to achieve carbon reduction through renovation of Australia's existing housing *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2014: Student research agreement for Tomi Winfree *; CRC Low Carbon Living
- 2013: Air Tight Buildings for Low Carbon Living *; Department of State Development Business and Innovation - Voucher Program
* Chief Investigator
- 2017-09-28: Disenar la Interculuralidad - Universidad de Caldas Youtube Channel
- 2016-12-01: Sustainability and Development in Uk MSc level programs: case study of faculty views, student perspectives and curriculum approaches to Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) - IASH UNiversity of Edinburgh
- 2016-08-16: Social Enterprise and Future Prosperity and Growth in India - Australia India Institute
- 2016-08-05: Exclusive Interview with Dr Gavin Melles - Chennai Online
- 2014-12-11: Gavin Melles discussing design as change agent #designforchange - Studio Thick Twitter Feed
- 2013-01-20: Digital Degrees alter face of learning - Sun Herald
- 2012-10-20: Deeper learning by design: what online education platforms can do - The Conversation
- 2011-02-18: Small Change, Big Change - Notes on Metamodernism Webzine