Associate Professor Flavia Marcello
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Interior Architecture and Industrial Design
- AMDC911 Hawthorn campus
Flavia is a world expert on the architecture and cultural production of the Italian Fascist period. She is a member of the Centre fo rTRansformativ eMedia Technologes and came to Swinburne in 2013 after a varied teaching career at Deakin and Melbourne Universities and Temple University's Rome Campus.
She has also worked as Professional Development Manager at the Australian Institute of Architects and as Curriculum Development Consultant at Box Hill Institute.
While living and working in Rome she developed her expertise on the city and its 2000 + years of history, particularly in the architecture and urban planning of the Italian Fascist period. Her long-time interest in 1930s art and architecture was explored in her PhD (University of Sydney, 2003) and has continued to evolve throughout her academic career. Her areas of research include: exhibitions, architectural ephemera, spatial practice, architecture as an integral element of urban space, the political uses of the Classical tradition, manifestations of fascist and anti-fascist ideology in momuments and public space. Her book Giuseppe Pagano. Design for Social Change in Fascist Italy is due out with Intellect Press in January 2020. Most recently, she has been exploring the use of virtual reality as a method for architectural history.
She teaches in the areas of design, history and theory with a particular focus on the inter-relationship between art and architecture, between design and health. She also conducts action research in the role of design to improve health outcomes. Design studios are used to explore new paradigms for aged care, in particular for people with dementia.
Design History, Philosophy, and Theory; Politics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Architectural history: 20th C architecture;
Art history: Italian Art
Exhibitions and Museums: Art, International Expositions, The role of technology: multi-media and virtual reality, 21st C Museums
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Architecture - 120100
- Historical Studies - 210300
Design History, Philosophy, and Theory
Also published as: Marcello, Flavia; Marcello, F.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Designing the Waiting Room 2020. Exploration of supportive innovative health services for the community- Design Summer Studio 2017 *; Access Health and Community Funds Scheme
- 2017: Memory, Nostalgia, Empathy: What does Dementia Feel Like? *; Dementia Training Australia/University of Wollongong
- 2016: Future Self and Design Living Lab Project: Designing the Waiting Room 2020 - an exploration of supportive innovative health services for the community. *; Inner East Community Health Service
* Chief Investigator