Dr Dan Golding
PhD (Screen Studies), The University of Melbourne, Australia; Bachelor of Arts (Hons), The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS315 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Dan Golding lectures in Media and Communications at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne. His research interests focus on media history, cinema, videogames, and music. Dan is also a critic and journalist with over 200 publications in venues such as ABC Arts, Crikey.com.au (for which he won the 'Best Games Journalist' award at the 11th Annual IT Journalism 'Lizzie' awards), The Guardian, Meanjin, The Walkley Magazine, Screen Education, Hyper Magazine, and Kill Your Darlings. In 2015, Dan wrote, presented, and edited the audio documentary series 'A Short History of Video Games' which was broadcast on ABC Radio National, and was later Highly Commended at the 13th Annual IT Journalism 'Lizzie' awards. He is also a contributing editor for Metro Magazine. Dan is also the Director of the Freeplay Independent Games Festival, the longest-running independent games festival in Australia.
Arts and Culture; Media; Video Games
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
- 2013, Other, Excellence in Sessional Teaching, School of Culture and Communication, The University of Melbourne
- 2013, National, Best Games Journalist, 11th Annual Australian IT Awards ('Lizzies')
Also published as: Golding, Dan; Golding, D.; Golding, Daniel
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
There are no grants to display.
- 2017-05-04: Remembering Star Wars - ACMI
- 2017-04-10: Game Changers: From Minecraft to Misogyny - Right Now: Human Rights in Australia
- 2017-02-02: How Hans Zimmer changed film music forever - ACMI
- 2017-02-01: Goodbye 'Good Game:' the Only Video Game Show Ever Worth Watching - VICE Australia
- 2016-12-05: Why we should no longer consider Last Tango in Paris ‘a classic - The Conversation
- 2016-10-30: What was your favourite electronic game? - ABC - Rhianna Patrick
- 2016-10-26: Red Dead Redemption 2 Needs Kick-Ass Women To Be A True Western - Kotaku AU
- 2016-10-25: Are film scores the symphonic masterpieces of our time? - ABC Radio National (Drive)
- 2016-09-19: Dan Golding's brilliant response to the Marvel soundtrack originality debate - Boing Boing
- 2016-09-17: Why Is the Music in Marvel Movies So Forgettable? - Mental Floss
- 2016-09-16: A Theory of Film Music - Kotaku
- 2016-09-16: How Marvel stumbled where Interstellar and Lord of the Rings soared - Polygon
- 2016-09-16: Why You Can't Remember What Modern Movies Sound Like - Popular Mechanics
- 2016-09-15: A Theory of Film Music - YouTube
- 2016-09-15: Why Temp Music Is Not To Blame With Marvelâ€™s Score Problems - SlashFilm
- 2016-09-13: Why does blockbuster movie music all sound boring and the same? - Kottke
- 2016-09-06: Video Games struggle to capture Australia - ABC Radio National (Afternoons)
- 2016-07-21: The world's biggest creative industry - ArtsHub
- 2016-07-15: Playing With Fire - The Big Issue
- 2016-06-29: The Key To The Young Han Solo Movie? Casablanca, Of Course - Gizmodo AU