Associate Professor Arran Gare
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Social Sciences
- 400B221 Hawthorn campus
Arran Gare is Associate Professor (Reader) in Philosophy and Cultural Inquiry, Swinburne University, and founder of the Joseph Needham Centre for Complex Processes Research. The focus of his research is on transforming culture to create a global ecological civilization. He has published widely on environmental philosophy, process metaphysics and the metaphysical foundations of the sciences, the history of ideas, complexity theory, human ecology, economics, the emergent theory of mind, social and cultural theory, ethics and political philosophy. He is the author of a number of books, including Postmodernism and the Environmental Crisis (London: Routledge, 1995) Nihilism Inc.: Environmental Destruction and the Metaphysics of Sustainability (Sydney: Eco-Logical Press, 1996) and The Philosophical Foundations of Ecological Civilization: A Manifesto for the Future (London: Routledge, 2017). In 2005 he founded the on-line journal Cosmos and History: The Journal of Natural and Social Philosophy, of which he is a chief editor.
Environmental philosophy; The metaphysical foundations of the sciences; Process philosophy; Complexity theory; Human ecology; The emergent theory of mind; Social and cultural theory and political philosophy
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Environmental Philosophy - 220303
- Environmental Science And Management - 050200
- Political Science - 160600
- 1985, National, Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellowship, Boston University
Also published as: Gare, Arran; Gare, A.; Gare, Arran E.; Gare, Arran Emrys
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
- 2018-10-21: Greening Red October - 3CR
- 2017-10-29: Greening Red October - 3CR
- 2009-09-08: China to take a leading role at Copenhagen - SBS World View