Dr Abdullah Al Mahmud
PhD, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands; Professional Doctorate in Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands; Master of Science (MSc), Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Interior Architecture and Industrial Design
- AMDC 904 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Abdullah Al Mahmud is a design researcher and human-computer interaction (HCI) specialist. He has extensive experience in accessibility and assistive technology, pervasive healthcare, privacy and ambient intelligence, child-computer interaction, human-robot interaction, and affective interfaces.
Prior to joining Swinburne, Dr Al Mahmud was a postdoctoral research fellow at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands. He obtained his PhD degree from the Department of Industrial Design at Eindhoven University of Technology and holds a master degree in Interactive Systems Design from the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Human Computer Interactions; Service Design; Sustainable Interaction Design, Living Lab, mHealth, Assistive Technology, Child-Computer Interaction, Ambient Intelligence, Ambient Assisted Living, Design Education; Gamification and serious games; Behaviour change and persuasive technology; Scientometrics; Mobile App Design
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
1. Computer mediated therapy for persons with aphasia/dementia
2. Gamification for personal/home-based rehabilitation for people with dementia/aphasia
3. Serious games for cognitive stimulation for people with dementia/Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
4. (propose your own topic)
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
Possible topics: Domestic violence and role of technology; Comparing mobile and web-based smoking cessation applications; Reviews/systematic reviews of emerging technology for behaviour change; Developing novel technology for personal wellbeing; Propose your own topic
Fields of Research
- Computer-human Interaction - 080602
- Digital And Interaction Design - 120304
- Industrial Design - 120305
Applied Design Research, Design and Emotion, Introductory Design Studio, Methods of Investigation, User-Centered Design
- 2017, International, Adjunct Associate Professsor, Beijing Normal University
- 2016, International, Best paper award, International Conference on Educational Technologies
Also published as: Al Mahmud, Abdullah; Al Mahmud, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2016: 2016 Visiting Fellowships Scheme - Jean-Bernard Martens *; Visiting Fellowships Scheme
- 2016: Can mobile apps be used to improve cognitive stimulation for people with dementia: A systematic review *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2015: Creating a decision support tool to understand the competencies and employability attributes of industrial designers *; ACUADS Grants
- 2014: MODE: MObility support for people with DEmentia *; CAESIE Priming Grants
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display