Skip to Content

Student reviews and appeals

The Reviews and Appeals Regulations 2012 govern the way students may apply for a review of, or appeal, a University decision relating to academic and student affairs. As a student you also have a right to request that certain external agencies review University decisions.

Swinburne’s online review and appeal application forms are accompanied by instructions to help you understand what a 'reviewable decision' is should you wish to apply for a review, and what grounds of appeal are available should you wish to apply for an appeal.

Your review or appeal outcome will be communicated via the email address you supply. You are strongly encouraged to use your Swinburne student email account. If you supply an alternative email address, this will be considered an approved method of communicating the outcome notice in this single instance only.

  • Lodge an application for a review
    • If you have received a complaint outcome and would like the outcome reviewed
    • If you have received an outcome that is a reviewable decision
  • Apply for an appeal
    • If you have already received a review outcome and you are dissatisfied with that outcome
  • Seek an external review or appeal
    • External agencies may require you to exhaust the university's internal review and appeal processes before they will consider your case, however, you are entitled to seek an external review or appeal at any time.

Please refer to the navigation panel for further guidance on whether you should submit a complaint, review or appeal.




External Interpreting and Translation Services

The TIS National is an interpreting service provided by the Australian Government for non-English speakers. The service is available 24/7 and can be used by individuals who require help in speaking with an Australian service or business by telephone.

Swinburne University of Technology is not a registered organisation with TIS National. However, individuals can still access the service at a cost. Visit TIS National for more information.

If you require translating services, you can access a list of accredited services on via the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.


Information for Staff

If you are a staff member who is seeking more information, please refer to our complaints, reviews, appeals and misconduct intranet page.