Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships (ICECS and ICAS)
The Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (ICECS) aims to improve higher education access for Indigenous people, particularly those who need to relocate from regional and remote areas, through payments to assist with education costs.
Any higher education course at Swinburne.
Eligibility / selection criteria
- be an Indigenous Australian or Torres Strait Islander
- provide evidence of low socio-economic status or financial disadvantage (documents such as a bank statement, salary slips, centrelink statement and/or personal statement)
- be enrolled in a full-time or part time higher education course at Swinburne.
- If you are in receipt of a Centrelink Student Start Up Scholarship, Student Start up loan, Relocation Scholarship, ABSTUDY Residential Costs Options or Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships and you are offered an ICECS/ICAS, you may choose to either accept or decline the offer. If you do accept the offer, you must contact Centrelink for information about how to return the Centrelink Student Start Up Scholarship, Relocation Scholarship or Student Start up loan payment.
ICECS is valued at $2,676 per year paid in two instalments in the year. This scholarship is available for up to eight payment cycles.
Also, you will automatically be assessed for Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (ICAS). To be eligible for ICAS you must have lived in a regional or remote area of Australia within the past 4 years and need to relocate to undertake the current study. Please refer to Rural and Regional Calculator to determine your geographic classification. Value $5,355 per year paid in two instalments in the year. This scholarship is available for up to eight payment cycles.
How to apply
Application can be made in two ways:
2. Directly to the University by completing the Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship online application form and submitting with supporting documentation. Applications for Semester 1 2019 (if you have not applied through VTAC) close on 31st January 2019. Applications for Semester 2 2019 close on 31st July 2019.
Scholarships & Prizes, Student Administration