Alba Sorati Scholarship for Women
The Alba Sorati Scholarship is awarded to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake or continue tertiary education in engineering, information and communication technologies or science.
Undergraduate or post-graduate course in Science, Engineering or Technology offered by Swinburne University of Technology
Eligibility / selection criteria
Applicants must be:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- be a female commencing or current student studying full-time in an on-campus single or double undergraduate or postgraduate/degree in engineering, information and communication technologies or science at Swinburne in Semester 1, 2018
- provide evidence of financial need and/or educational disadvantage. Disadvantage may include:
- financial difficulty or low income
- disability or medical condition
- delay or interruption to career or studies because of family responsibilities or illness
- relocation from a rural or regional area in order to undertake tertiary study
- English as a second language
- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- provide ATAR or previous academic records
- Provide a Personal Statement of 500 words or less demonstrating educational disadvantage, sound academic ability and a strong potential to complete the degree within minimum time.
- provide two referee reports outlining the applicant’s suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, preferably a subject coordinator from the applicant’s secondary school and/or a school principal.
- Character reference - from a current or past employer or a person competent to supply a character reference.
Please note references cannot be supplied by a person related to you.
The scholarship is valued at $2000.
How to apply
Applicants must complete and submit an online application form and all supporting documentation by Thursday, 22 February 2018.
Scholarships and Prizes