Piers Fowler Flight Instructor Scholarship
Piers Fowler was an integral part of general and commercial aviation in Australia for over 20 years. Piers combined his love of both aviation and teaching and displayed skill and commitment in all areas of his endeavours. He was a colleague and friend to many at Swinburne. Therefore we are honoured that Piers’ family, through the Piers Fowler Trust, are considering the establishment of a range of initiatives to recognise Piers’ contribution to aviation and his time at Swinburne, first as a student and then a teacher, to continue what he liked to do most – share the skills and learning of aviation with other pilots.
Piers was a dedicated and accomplished instructor. Only a handful of First Officers are chosen to be trained to instruct experienced airline pilots to fly a new aircraft type, from a peer group of hundreds. The Piers Fowler Flight Instructor Scholarship is offered to a student undertaking the Flight Instructor Rating Practicum (AVF80006) in the Graduate Certificate of Aviation (Piloting) offered by Swinburne University. This scholarship not only seeks to sponsor aspiring pilots to achieve their Instructor Rating but to provide the opportunity to experience the role of Airline Check Pilot / Training Pilot. This scholarship plays a part in pioneering a new link between the industry and education and training.
Single or double undergraduate Aviation course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Piers Fowler Flight Instructor Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing Swinburne student in third year in Semester 1, 2021
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- have achieved a credit average for all completed units
- Have obtained their Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
- Submit a 500-word statement explaining why an Instructor Rating is important to your career aspirations. Include details of financial hardship, if applicable.
This scholarship is valued at $10,000 for one year only. Each scholarship recipient will be given the opportunity of an industry mentor.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 30 March 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services