Vocational Education and Training in Schools
Vocational Education and Training in Schools (VETiS) allows secondary students to complete VCE or VCAL while undertaking vocational studies. VETiS programs are approved by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA).
On successful completion of a VETiS program students will:
VCE: achieve recognition within the Units 1 to 4 structure of Year 11 and 12 which may contribute towards satisfactory completion of the VCE. Selected programs offer scored assessments for Units 3 and 4. Further information is available at the school.
VCAL: meet the requirements of the Industry Specific Skills Strand and may also contribute to the Work Related Skills Strand of VCAL.
Qualification: be eligible for a Victorian or nationally recognised certificate (depending on the program).
Pathways to future training: have the opportunity to progress to a range of certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas or bachelor degrees.
Swinburne works closely with our secondary school partners to ensure a supportive environment for students who have chosen to undertake vocational training in their VCE or VCAL.
How VETiS works
Our secondary school partners identify the most appropriate courses for their students and Swinburne ensures the delivery of the program meets the student’s needs.
Students attend classes at Swinburne one day a week during normal school terms. Most programs take two years to complete.
KIOSC trade training centre
Our Wantirna campus is home to the $10 million Knox Innovation, Opportunity and Sustainability Centre (KIOSC).
KIOSC is a state-of-the-art facility providing hands-on learning experiences for secondary school students and links them with industry groups, government agencies and the local community. KIOSC is a joint initiative of Swinburne and local secondary schools.
Current VETiS programs include:
- Certificate II in Building and Construction – Bricklaying
- Certificate II in Building and Construction – Carpentry
- Certificate II in Community Services
- Certificate II in Creative Industries
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals
- Certificate II in Electrotechnology Studies (Pre-vocational)
- Certificate II in Engineering Studies
- Certificate II in Horticulture
- Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology – Games Focus
- Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- Certificate III in Laboratory Skills
- Certificate II in Landscaping
- Certificate II in Plumbing (Pre-apprenticeship)
- Certificate II in Retail Services
How to apply
For students interested in studying VETiS at Swinburne, contact the school’s Careers/VETiS coordinator. Schools manage the application process directly with Swinburne.
To be eligible for VETiS, students must be:
- at least 15 years of age
- currently enrolled in Year 10, 11 or 12.
Applications for 2019 are not yet being accepted.
Please check back soon for more information about applying to undertake VETiS in 2019.