How to apply

Applications for diplomas and certificates should be made through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) or direct to Swinburne, depending on your course and when you want to commence.

Applications for Semester 1

Year 12 students

If you studied Year 12 in Australia in 2017 and applied through VTAC, you can update your preferences on the VTAC site

If you have not applied through VTAC, you will need to apply directly to Swinburne.

Non-Year 12 students

If you have applied through VTAC, update your preferences. If you’re applying to study a course at Swinburne, you can apply online with us.

Applications for other intakes

If you intend to apply for an intake other than Semester 1, you will need to apply directly to Swinburne.

Applying through VTAC

VTAC applications should be submitted electronically via the VTAC website.

Applications for further study

New and current Swinburne students can apply for further study using the online application system. Current students must log in using their existing student number and password.

Applying directly to Swinburne

You can submit a direct application to Swinburne for diplomas and certificates by applying online. This includes applications for pre-apprenticeships and further study.

Any required supporting documentation must also be submitted with your application.

Apply Online

You can complete your entire application online.

As part of the online application process, all VE applicants will need to complete the following requirements:

Pre-Training Review (PTR)

The Pre-Training Review is a government initiative and all vocational education (TAFE) students must complete this before receiving an offer. It is a series of questions and the answers you provide will assist Swinburne staff in ensuring you are offered the most suitable and appropriate course for your intended outcome.

Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN)

 The government requires Swinburne to evaluate the language, literacy and numeracy levels of students. The results of this evaluation assists Swinburne to support you in your course selection and to identify any assistance you might require. You will be asked about your Year 11 and/or 12 Maths and English units and depending on your responses, you may need to complete an online Maths and/or English assessment.

Skills First

The Skills First Program is a Victorian Government scheme that helps people access vocational education and training. You may be eligible for a subsidised place to fund your Vocational Education (VE) course. You will be asked to complete a series of questions to determine if you are eligible for a government-subsidised place.

Green ID

Swinburne uses an electronic identity verification service, VixVerify – GreenID, to assist in determining your eligibility for enrolment and study related facilities such as Government funding. To verify your identity and citizenship, you will need a combination of the following documents including at least one photo ID:

  • Australian Driver’s Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Australian Visa (Foreign Passport)
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Medicare Card
  • Australian Birth Certificate

Some examples of combinations are:

  • Australian Driver's Licence and Green Medicare Card
  • Australian Birth Certificate and Australian Driver's Licence
  • Australian passport.

Applying for an online course

Applying for an apprenticeship or traineeship

Apprenticeships and traineeships have a different application process. 

Before you enrol in these programs, you need to find an employer willing to offer you an apprenticeship or traineeship in your chosen field. 

You do this in the same way you would look for any job. Check newspapers and the internet for job advertisements, or contact employers directly and ask if they would be willing to employ you as an apprentice/trainee. 

Once you have found employment, your employer will need to register you through an Australian Apprenticeship Centre (AAC). They can find their nearest AAC by calling 1800 639 629 or going to the Australian Apprenticeship Centre website.

International students

The application process is different for international students (including Temporary or Provisional Residents and holders of Temporary Protection Visas).