- One Semester or equivalent
- On-campus: 12 hours Face to face+Blended, Swinburne online – Fully online
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2022 teaching periods
Teaching Period 3
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
This unit critically examines how education systems both reproduce and challenge social inequalities. The unit highlights a teacher’s professional responsibility to provide children and young people with an equitable education in line with political and legislative priorities. Pre-service teachers will critically reflect on their educational experiences and assumptions to more effectively engage all students. Pre-service teachers will explore the diverse needs, strengths, interests, and backgrounds of students, especially in relation to social class, disability, culture, ethnicity, language, religion, gender, and sexuality. Pre-service teachers will formulate critically-informed and socially-just teaching strategies that value the diversity of students.
1. Critically reflect upon and challenge their own perspectives, experiences, assumptions, and influences regarding the education system.
2. Critically examine the role of education as a site for inclusion and exclusion and the teacher’s potential to both reproduce and overcome social inequalities for students across the full range of abilities.
3. Critically examine the educational experiences of students with disabilities and additional needs (incl. neurodiverse students) and formulate inclusive, differentiated, and strength-based strategies for engaging these students and their families.
4. Critically examine the educational experiences of students from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, and religious backgrounds (incl. students from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds) and formulate inclusive strategies for engaging these students and their families
5. Critically examine policy and legislation concerning diversity, disability, equity, and inclusion in education and the role of the community and external organisations in supporting student participation.