Microsoft Excel Introduction
Learn the basics of Microsoft Excel and how to use spreadsheets to be more organised and effective at work with this Excel short course for beginners.
Discover the best Excel shortcuts and tips and tricks from the outset from an expert facilitator as they take you through everything you need to know to start using Microsoft Excel with confidence.
This one-day class is the perfect start to the world of Excel. You’ll learn how to set up Microsoft Excel, navigate workbooks and save and close documents, how to make basic spreadsheets and select and format ranges of cells. You’ll also practice basic Excel formulas and learn how to use functions like SUM, AVERAGE and COUNT to make quick calculations.
These basic Excel skills can be used to create budgets, graphs, lists, simple reports and more to complete a range of tasks in the workplace efficiently.
Once you have completed this Excel spreadsheet training and learned the fundamentals, take your skills to the next level with our Microsoft Excel Intermediate and Microsoft Excel Advanced courses.
Who should attend?
Anyone who wants to increase their digital literacy and start using Microsoft Excel to perform basic tasks in the workplace.
Recommended: We recommend participants follow this course up with the Microsoft Excel Intermediate short course.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Note: this course is taught on a Windows PC platform and is therefore suitable for Windows PC users only. This course is not suitable for Mac OS users.
“This course exceeded my expectations by far. Our facilitator was so professional, a great teacher and very patient. Great examples were used during the course too.”
Short Course Outline - Microsoft Excel Introduction
Download this course brochure for more information about the short course. This can also be given to your employer to pitch for funding or support of your program.
Swinburne Live Online Short Courses and Qualifications
Our Live Online training is delivered to you live, providing similar interactions as face to face training with the benefits of remote access. The training is delivered through video conferencing and discussion board platforms. Workshops are broken into interactive video sessions, including presentations and distribution of materials and discussion board based activities.
Our Live Online delivery
Our Live Online delivery is a dynamic, engaging and interactive way to learn remotely. It’s just like face to face but with the added benefits of digital technology. Your facilitator will present in real-time, and you will be able to participate in group discussions and collaborate on exercises and group activities using our interactive platforms.
Find out more about what we offer >>
- Course delivery, learning objectives and benefits.
This one-day Excel course equips you with a practical set of beginner Excel skills to perform a range of useful tasks. You will be paired with fellow students for the day so you can learn Excel and practice together while being taught and supported by an expert facilitator.
This Microsoft Excel introduction course covers how to:
- Create, edit and save workbooks and spreadsheets
- Select ranges of cells in a workbook
- Create formulas that perform calculations in a workbook
- Copy and fill data in a workbook
- format cells in a workbook
- Print data in a workbook
- Create a variety of charts and graphs in Excel
- Use a range of techniques to work with worksheets.
By completing this beginner Excel course, you will be able to:
- Gain confidence with simple tasks in Excel
- Reduce time spent on manual tasks that can be automated
- Confidently use Excel for calculations and simple data analysis
- Use Excel for creating budgets, graphs, lists, and reports.
- Participant course training manual
- Access to Customer Development Advisors to discuss further study options - to book an appointment call 1800 633 560
- Convenient Hawthorn, Melbourne location
- New Live Online delivery allows you to do the course from anywhere in the country
- Live online delivery available in the following states and territories – Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Tasmania.
- Timetables, course brochures and further information.
Quarterly Course Calendar Australia - Current Quarter
Timetables for this and all other short courses for the current quarter.
Quarterly Course Calendar Australia - Next Quarter
Timetables for this and all other short courses for the next quarter.
Short Course Overview - MS Excel Introduction
Download this document as a quick outline of the short course that can be printed and presented to your employer.
Find out more
Make an enquiry
Make an enquiry
Training Organisation Identifier (TOID): 3059