To qualify for the award of Bachelor of Arts (Professional), students must complete 375 credit points comprising:
- Four (4) core units of study (50 credit points)
- Eight (8) units of study from an Arts discipline major in one of the following: Climate and Social Justice; Criminology; Screen Studies and Popular Culture; Ethics and Technology; Indigenous Studies; Perspectives on Globalisation; Politics, Power and Technology; and Professional and Creative Writing (100 credit points)
- Four (4) units of study from the Professional Placement Co-Major (100 credit points); and
- Ten (10) units of study (125 credit points) comprising a second major, and/or co-major, and/or advanced minor/s, and/or minor/s, and/or electives
Students may not complete more than 125 cps at Introductory Level. A unit of study can only be counted once, where units are shared between majors and/or minors, students must choose an approved alternate.
Academic Progress – Special Requirements
In addition to the standard academic progress rules, this course has the following additional academic progress rules which are established in accordance with Academic Courses Regulation 62(2):
1. A student is classified as 'at risk' of unsatisfactory progress if they:
(a) fail any unit of study
(b) behave in a manner which breaches the Swinburne Student Charter whilst on a professional placement
(c) are unsuccessful in securing a Professional Placement two months before Week 1 of their final year of study.
2. A student is classified as 'unsatisfactory progress' if they:
(a) fail any unit of study in the next Progress Review period after being classified as being 'at risk'
(b) fail a Professional Placement or Work Experience in Industry unit
(c) have their professional placement terminated early by an industry partner. In the case of early termination of an industry placement by an industry partner, the student will be deemed as having 'unsatisfactory progress' and a progress review hearing may be convened within 2 weeks of the cessation of the placement.
(d) are unsuccessful in securing a Professional Placement two months before Week 1 of their final semester of study.
Students in this situation may be invited to transfer to an alternative undergraduate course. Students who are identified as having unsatisfactory progress will be subject to the show cause provisions in the Progress Review section of the Academic Progress Policy.
Maximum Academic Credit
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Bachelor of Arts (Professional) is 150 credit points (normally 12 units)