Professor Xiaodong Huang
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Translational Atomaterials
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ATC735 Hawthorn campus
Dr. Xiaodong Huang is the Professor of Engineering Mechanics and ARC Future Fellow at School of Engineering, and the theme leader for the Centre for Translational Atomaterials (CTAM), Swinburne University of Technology. He received the Master degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, in 1999 and Ph.D. from Swinburne University of Technology, in 2004. Thereafter, he joined RMIT University for 13 years and moved to Swinburne in 2017. Over his academic career, Dr. Huang has won a number of awards: RMIT Research Award, ARC APD fellowship; Early-Career Research Award by the Australian Academy of Science; RMIT Teaching Award; and ARC Future Fellowship.
Dr. Huang's research mainly focused on topology optimization and its multidisciplinary applications. He is the innovator of the modern bi-directional evolutionary structural optimization (BESO) method (Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 43(14), pp 1039-1049, 2007), and the floating projection topology optimization (FPTO) method (Advances in Engineering Software, 151, 102942, 2021). So far, he has authored one monograph and more than 150 SCI journal articles with over 6,000 citations. His research has been funded by ARC and various industries.
Topology Optimizaiton; Structural Engineering; Structural Materials; Computational Mechanics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Structural Engineering - 400510
- Numerical Modelling And Mechanical Characterisation - 401706
- Solid Mechanics - 401707
Also published as: Huang, Xiaodong; Huang, X.; Huang, X. D.; Huang, Xiao Dong
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Design and Additive Manufacturing of Tuneable Origami-inspired Metallic Phononic Crystals *; Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- 2021: Dynamic Properties of Mechanical Metamaterials: Optimization and Experiment *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2019: ARC Training Centre in Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2019: Blast and Shock Modelling Phase 2 - 9.82 *; DMTC
- 2019: Nurturing Graduates for Australian Automotive Engineering Futures - Automotive Engineering Graduate Program *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2018: 2018 visiting fellowship scheme - Prof. Tongxi Yu *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2018: 3D printing of automotive spare parts and high value accessories *; Excellerate Australia
- 2018: Topological Optimisation for Metallic Additive Manufacturing *; DMTC
- 2013: Topology Optimisation for Three-dimensional Periodic Nanophotonic Structures *; ARC Future Fellowships
* Chief Investigator