Associate Professor Weixiang Shen
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications, Electrical, Robotics and Biomedical Engineering
- EN701b Hawthorn campus
A/Prof. Weixiang Shen received his BEng., MEng., and PhD degrees all from Electrical Engineering. He worked in several universities as Lecturer, Associate Professor and Research Fellow in China, German, Singapore and Malaysia. He is currently an Associate Professor in Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia. Weixiang's research interests are (1) battery applied research and control strategy for electric vehicles(EVs), including battery capacity estimation, battery charging, battery sorting and balancing, battery energy and thermal management system as well as EV control, (2) integration of EVs and renewable energy systems (e.g. solar photovoltaic (PV) systems and wind systems) into conventional power systems, including the smart use of EV batteries in power systems (e.g. smart grid) and the analysis and improvement of system stability for power systems integrated with renewable energy systems. In these areas, he has published more than 70 papers in referred journals and conference proceedings. In addition, he has actively sought research fund from various organizations and has been a principal investigators and co-investigators of many national, industrial and university sponsored projects for EV technology and solar PV system technology in China, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia. Since 2002, Weixiang has been served as the reviewers of IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion and Journal of Power Sources, etc. He was also invited as organizing committee members, track chairs and session chairs for several international conferences.
applied research on battery energy storage for electric vehicles and renewable energy systems
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Battery safety and integrity of battery packaging
Design of next generation battery management systems for EVs
Integration of EVs into power grids (G2V and V2G)
Integration of renewable energy sources into power grids with battery storage
Physic-based mathematical modelling of batteries for states estimation
Use of ultrasound to monitor and protect battery systems
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Hybrid Vehicles And Powertrains - 090205
- Renewable Power And Energy Systems Engineering (excl. Solar Cells) - 090608
- Electrical And Electronic Engineering Not Elsewhere Classified - 090699
Also published as: Shen, Weixiang; Shen, W.; Shen, W. X.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Nurturing Graduates for Australian Automotive Engineering Futures - Automotive Engineering Graduate Program *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2019: Testing Lead Acid Batteries *; Bainbridge Technologies
- 2018: Intelligent energy management system for home microgrids with solar photovoltaic and battery storage(VIC-JS TECH) *; Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources Fund Scheme
- 2018: Testing four battery cells and providing test results *; Rocket Australia Fund Scheme
- 2013: Battery Charge, Mechanical and Thermal Management System Development Link *; AUTO CRC Virtual Design and Manufacturing
- 2012: From diesel to electric: a new era in personnel transport for underground coal mines *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2010: Electric vehicle control systems and power management (AutoCRC C2-801) *; CRC for Advanced Automotive Technology
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display