Professor Sergey Suslov
PhD , University of Notre Dame, United States; MSc, University of Notre Dame, United States; Master of Science in Applied Mathematics and Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, Russian Federation
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Science
- Department of Mathematics
- EN710e Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Spatio-temporal hydrodynamic stability theory; Ferrohydrodynamics; Magnetoconvection; Theoretical fluid mechanics; Non-Boussinesq convection; Dynamical systems; Low-dimensional models of fluid flows; Tropical Cyclones; Mathematical modelling
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Nonlinear hydrodynamic stability theory: We are trying to explain the diversity of surrounding us fluid flows mathematically using bifurcation and dynamical system theories and low dimensional modelling.
Thermo-magnetic instabilities in ferro-magnetic nano-fluids: Ferrofluids are suspensions of magnetic nanoparticles in a carrier liquid. Such fluids have unique properties: their flows and the associated heat transfer can be controlled by an external magnetic field. Our goal is to develop an understanding of mechanisms driving flows of such fluids using nonlinear small amplitude disturbance analysis and numerical modelling.
Fields of Research
- Theoretical And Applied Mechanics - 490109
- Dynamical Systems In Applications - 490105
- Fundamental And Theoretical Fluid Dynamics - 401207
- Microfluidics And Nanofluidics - 401210
- Multiphysics Flows (incl. Multiphase And Reacting Flows) - 401211
- 2019, International, Physics of Fluids: the Editors choice, Featured Article, American Institute of Physics
- 2017, International, Cover image, Journal of Fluid Mechanics , Cambridge University Press
- 2012, International, Physical Review E paper of the month, Editor's Choice, American Physical Society
- 1998, Other, Owen M. Grin Memorial Prize for Excellence in Fluid Mechanics, University of Notre Dame, USA
- 1998, Other, Eli J. and Helen Shaheen Graduate School Award in Engineering, University of Notre Dame, USA
Also published as: Suslov, Sergey; Suslov, S.; Suslov, S. A.; Suslov, Sergey A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: 2018 visiting fellowship scheme - Professor Sergio Cuevas *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2014: A thermally stratified Sea-Ice-Wave Interaction Facility *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2013: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013 - Dr Bozhko *; Research Advisory Group - Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013
* Chief Investigator
- 2021-05-26: Acoustic frequency combs, gas bubble oscillations and brain-computer interfaces - Australian Institute of Physics
- 2018-03-09: Electromagnetically driven flow of electrolyte in a thin annular layer: significance - Advances in Engineering
- 2012-11-18: Patterns of thermomagnetic convection: thermomagnetic rolls, waves and cells - American Physical Society
- 2012-02-10: A Day in the life of a Mathematician (Video interview) - CSIRO
- 2012-02-10: A mathematician's world - CSIRO
- 2012-02-10: A mathematician's world - EMPHASiS