Professor Susanne Garvis
Susanne Garvis is a professor of education in the Department of Education. She is an internationally renowned early childhood education expert within policy, quality and learning. Susanne has worked with various governments, professional organisations and NGOs across the world where her research has informed teacher education, policy development and professional learning. Her most recent contribution to policy was a large scale meta-analysis showing how bachelor qualified teachers enhances quality in the early childhood sector. She is a mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative) researcher with extensive experience in narrative (story constellations) and arts-based research. Her focus is on supporting voice, experience and wellbeing within research.
Susanne has extensive research, teaching and leadership experience in early childhood education and teacher education in higher education in Australia and Sweden. She has previously been a Professor at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) and a guest professor at Stockholm University (Sweden). She has been Director of the Centre for Educational Sciences and Teacher Education at Gothenburg University, comprising seven faculties and over 80 doctoral students and supervisors. In Sweden, Susanne was the leader of the government funded Nordic Early Childhood Research Group with over 50 members from across the Scandinavian region. The group had a specific focus on researching Nordic childhoods, learning and family. She currently holds an adjunct professorship at Griffith University.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Also published as: Garvis, Susanne; Garvis, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: STEM Hub Scoping Proposal *; Invergowrie Foundation
- 2021: Supporting Pasifika islander youth towards positive life trajectories *; Department of Justice - Building Safer Communities
* Chief Investigator
- Debating Europe- Government Funded Childcare for Working Parents. - Debating Europe
- Meet the education researcher. Early Childhood Education. - Monash University
- Reasons to be Cheerful - the British podcast about ideas hosted by former Labour Party leader Ed Miliband and radio host Geoff Lloyd. September 2019. - Reasons to be Cheerful
- Research in Action :A Podcast for faculty and higher education professionals on research design, methods, productivity and More. March 2018, Early Childhood Education and Care Episode 148. - Oregon University