Professor Paul Stoddart
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Centre for Quantum and Optical Science
- Department of Telecommunications, Electrical, Robotics and Biomedical Engineering
- ATC845 Hawthorn campus
Professor Paul Stoddart is Director of Swinburne’s ARC Training Centre in Biodevices. His research interests include applied optics and biophotonics with projects in the areas of fibre optic sensors, Raman spectroscopy and laser nerve stimulation.
Professor Stoddart undertakes this research within the Applied Optics Group, which works closely with other research groups in biomedical engineering. This field offers opportunities to apply optical and photonics principles as biological systems respond well to a ‘light touch’. The advantages of non-contact interactions in biomedical applications are illustrated by our focus on laser nerve stimulation for bionic implants and optical biosensors.
Before joining Swinburne, Professor Stoddart worked on industry-focused surface science and microanalysis problems in a national lab. His academic background includes gaining a PhD in laser spectroscopy from the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
Nanotechnology; Sensor technology; Biomedical Engineering; Biophotonics; Applied Optics; Biomimetics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Materials Engineering - 401600
- Photonics, Optoelectronics And Optical Communications - 510204
- 2017, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Research Excellence Award, Swinburne
- 2014, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Engagement Award, Swinburne
Also published as: Stoddart, Paul; Stoddart, P.; Stoddart, P. R.; Stoddart, Paul R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Transportable high-power blue laser for processing of reflective materials *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2021: Capital Upgrade of the Australian National Fabrication Facility (Victoria Node) (ANFF) *; VIC Department of Education and Training
- 2021: Electro-Optical Primers for Safe Use and Clean Manufacturing *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2020: Intravascular NIRAF Imaging Catheter Prototype *; Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute
- 2019: Development of 3D cell culture systems for evaluating real-time stimulations and sensing techniques *; USDept of Defense
- 2019: Investigation of the interplay between blood cells and the endothelium in microfluidic devices *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2019: Machine Vision ? Grinded Disk Surface Inspection System (APR Internship for Md Abdullah Al Mamun) *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2018: AMSI / APR Internship - Steve Beguin - The Effect of Promoters and Inhibitors on the Rheology of Coagulating Blood *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2018: AMSI Internship - Jonathon Miegel - Developing Motion and Temperature control for Microfluidic Blood Measurement *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2018: Biophysical Characterisation of Phenylalanine Amyloid Fibrils: Elucidating the Molecular Origins of Phenylketonuria *; Tel Aviv University - Swinburne Research Collaboration Awards
- 2018: Determinants of sustained virological response after discontinuation of long-term nucleoside analogue therapy in chronic hepatitis B patients *; The University of Melbourne
- 2017: Disruptive 3D Scanning / PrintingAMSI Intern Program *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2017: Facility for exploring light-matter interactions in space, time and energy *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2017: Primer: engineering a high temperature plasma breakdownSIEF STEM+ Business Fellowship Program *; CSIRO - Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF)
- 2016: Rapid prototyping 3-D nano-pattern large area writer *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2015: Collaborative advanced spectroscopy facility for materials and devices *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme - For funding commencing in 2015
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: Surface and Colloid Characterisation Facility *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2013: Implementation and Testing of the applicability of the optical flow sensor technology for blood vessel occlusion *; Grey Innovation Pty Ltd
- 2013: Tumour detection using an Endoscopic Fibre Optic Sensor (Technology voucher program) *; OptoTech Pty ltd
- 2011: Distributed Fibre Optic Paint Degradation Sensor *; DMTC Strategic projects
- 2011: Dynamic substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering: piezoelectric actuated nanotextures with phase-locked signal processing *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: Temperature-independent Bragg grating based sensor for monitoring regions of localised strain concentration *; Defence Science and Technology Organisation
- 2010: Opto-Microfluidics: A Rapid and Sensitive Platform for Biological Diagnostics *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator