Professor Paul Stoddart
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Centre for Quantum and Optical Science
- Department of Telecommunications, Electrical, Robotics and Biomedical Engineering
- ATC845 Hawthorn campus
Professor Paul Stoddart is Director of Swinburne’s ARC Training Centre in Biodevices. His research interests include applied optics and biophotonics with projects in the areas of fibre optic sensors, Raman spectroscopy and laser nerve stimulation.
Professor Stoddart undertakes this research within the Applied Optics Group, which works closely with other research groups in biomedical engineering. This field offers opportunities to apply optical and photonics principles as biological systems respond well to a ‘light touch’. The advantages of non-contact interactions in biomedical applications are illustrated by our focus on laser nerve stimulation for bionic implants and optical biosensors.
Before joining Swinburne, Professor Stoddart worked on industry-focused surface science and microanalysis problems in a national lab. His academic background includes gaining a PhD in laser spectroscopy from the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
Nanotechnology; Sensor technology; Biomedical Engineering; Biophotonics; Applied Optics; Biomimetics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Photonics, Optoelectronics And Optical Communications - 020504
- Materials Engineering - 091200
- 2017, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Research Excellence Award, Swinburne
- 2014, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Engagement Award, Swinburne
Also published as: Stoddart, Paul; Stoddart, P.; Stoddart, P. R.; Stoddart, Paul R.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Disruptive 3D Scanning / PrintingAMSI Intern Program (student Philip Kinsella) *; Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Intern Program
- 2017: Facility for exploring light-matter interactions in space, time and energy *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2016: Rapid prototyping 3-D nano-pattern large area writer *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2015: Collaborative advanced spectroscopy facility for materials and devices *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme - For funding commencing in 2015
- 2014: Connecting Swinburne and Ekspla *; CAESIE Priming Grants
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: Surface and Colloid Characterisation Facility *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2014: Ultrafast Science Facility: manipulating and probing matter on fs timescales with microscopic resolution *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2013: Implementation and Testing of the applicability of the optical flow sensor technology for blood vessel occlusion *; Grey Innovation Pty Ltd
- 2013: Tumout detection using an Endoscopic Fibre Optic Sensor (Technology voucher program) *; OptoTech Pty ltd
- 2013: Using infrared laser simulation of the retina to improve vision *; Helen Macpherson Smith Trust Grants
- 2012: Argon cluster source for non-destructive, quantitative compositional depth profile of soft biomedical and biological materials *; Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundation Equipment Grants
- 2012: Combined Optical and Electrical Stimulation of Auditory Neurons *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2012: Corrosivity of Australian Naval Bases *; DMTC
- 2012: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2012 - Umapathy *; Research Advisory Group- Visiting Researcher Scheme 2012
- 2011: Distributed Fibre Optic Paint Degradation Sensor *; DMTC Strategic projects
- 2011: Dynamic substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering: piezoelectric actuated nanotextures with phase-locked signal processing *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: Ripple sensor for surface enhanced raman spectroscopy *; Agilent Technologies Foundation
- 2011: Temperature-independent Bragg grating based sensor for monitoring regions of localised strain concentration *; Defence Science and Technology Organisation
- 2010: Demonstration of Oxidation Barrier Coatings on Nanostructured Metal Surfaces *; Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering
- 2010: Development of antimicrobial coatings from pure Australian essential oils *; Rural Industries Research and Devlopment Corporation Research Grants
- 2010: Molecular spectroscopic 2D and 3D Imaging Systems at Sub-Micron Spatial Resolution *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2010: Opto-Microfluidics: A Rapid and Sensitive Platform for Biological Diagnostics *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2009: Nanophotonic and microfluidic integration facility: a platform for optofluidics *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2009: Optical Fibre Touch Sensor for Cochlear Implants *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2008: Development of a prototype production system for optical fibre diagnostic probes *; NHMRC Development Grant
- 2008: Laser processing system for diagnostic probes and medical devices *; Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundation Equipment Grant
* Chief Investigator