Associate Professor Prem Prakash Jayaraman
- School of Software and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
Dr. Jayaraman works in the area of distributed systems in particular Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud and Mobile Computing. He has published over 100 papers in several top venues including Transaction of Cloud Computing, Elsevier Computational Science, Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centred Systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, The Scientific World Journal in the related area of his research. His Google Scholar citation is 3800+ with a h-index of 31 (https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=bvgJEG0AAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate).
Prior to joining Swinburne, Dr Jayaraman was a Post Doctoral Research Scientist (2012 - 2015) in the Digital Productivity and Services Flagship of Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) Australian Government's Premier Research Agency. Prior to that, he worked as a Research Fellow and Lecturer at the Centre for Distributed Systems and Software Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia (2010 - 2011).
He is an active member and a significant contributor (research and development) to the EU FP7 STReP project (4.182M euro with EU funding of 2.455M euro), Open source platform for Internet of Things (OpenIoT - www.openiot.eu). The project has focused on developing an open source cloud-based middleware platform for Internet of Things that facilitates sensor discovery, real time data analytics with use cases in agriculture, smart cities, smart manufacturing and elderly health care management domains. The OpenIoT project won the prestigious Black Duck Rookie of the Year Award in 2013.
Dr Jayaraman obtained his PhD (2011) from Monash University where he worked on developing a context-aware middleware for collecting data from wireless sensors networks using mobile smart phones in smart city environments. His thesis was titled "Cost-Efficient Collection and Delivery of Sensor Data using Mobile Devices". His PhD paper titled "Intelligent Processing of K-Nearest Neighbours Queries using Mobile Data Collectors in a Location Aware 3D Wireless Sensor Network" was awared the Best Paper Award at the Twenty Third International Conferences on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent
Systems (IEA-AIE 2010).
Prizes, honours and awards
- 2019, Swinburne Faculty of Science Engineering and Technology - Research Collaboration Across Non-Traditional Boundaries Award (Team Award) – for conducing industry-based transdisciplinary research
- 2018, Swinburne Vice Chancellor’s 2018 Innovation Award (Team Award) – for conducing innovative and transdisciplinary industry focused research
- 2017, Best Paper Award- Yavari. A, Jayaraman, P.P, Georgakopoulos. D, Nepal.S , “ConTaaS: An Approach to Internet-Scale Contextualisation for Developing Efficient Internet of Things Applications”, Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan
- 2015, First place winner of Unearthed Hackathon challenge for developing the solution “PPE of Things”.
- 2015, Black Duck Award - Open Internet of Things project – Black Duck Open Source Rookie of the Year 2015 – Developer and contributor
- 2016, Commendation from Dr. Simon Peel, Executive Director RMIT Research for conducting research with impact
- 2014, Winner of “Semantic Connectivity Challenge” and “HOPU Award” at IoT Hackathon event during IoT Week, London, June 2014
- 2013, Best Paper Nominee for the paper titled “An Ontology-based Framework for Real-Time Collection and Visualization of Mobile Field Triage Data in Mass Gatherings” at Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences
- 2010, Best Paper Award for the paper titled “Intelligent Processing of K-Nearest Neighbours Queries using Mobile Data Collectors in a Location Aware 3D Wireless Sensor Network” at the Twenty Third International Conferences on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (IEA-AIE 2010).
Cloud Computing; Internet of Things; Mobile Computing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
- 2015, National, First Prize - IoT Hackathon, Unearthed
Also published as: Jayaraman, Prem; Jayaraman, P.; Jayaraman, Prem Prakash; Jayaraman, P. P.; Jayaraman, Prem P.; Prakash Jayaraman, P.; Prakash Jayaraman, Prem
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: ?GENIE?: A virtual clinical platform empowering equitable access to optimal care for individuals living with genetic disorders *; Digital Health CRC
- 2022: IMCRC and WorldMark Pty Ltd (MotorOne Group) - Industrial Internet-of-Things Solution for Real-time Product Quality Assessment *; Innovative Manufacturing CRC
- 2022: iMOVE Australia Limited (?iMOVE?), Level Crossing Removal Project (?LXRP?) - Construction industry supply chain data sharing framework *; iMOVECRC
- 2022: Industry 4.0 Readiness Assessments *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- 2022: SenShaMart: A Trusted Internet of Things Marketplace for Sensor Sharing *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2021: A low cost IoT-based solution for Tracking and Monitoring of Freight Consignments *; Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications - Patnership
- 2021: An IoT solution for measuring knife sharpness and force in Red Meat Processing plants *; All Energy Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Design and Development of Navigator Mobile Application for Northern Health *; Northern Health
- 2021: Development of a low-cost IoT solution to monitor the localisation of electric bikes in real-time *; iMOVECRC
- 2021: Estimation of freight origin-destination activity using video analytics and traffic counts *; iMOVECRC
- 2021: Mobile 5G IoT Solution for Data Driven Road Asset Maintenance in Brimbank *; Australian 5G Innovation Initiative
- 2021: Replacement Bus Patronage Counting and Wait Time Measurement *; iMOVECRC
- 2021: Research and Development of a Solution for Question/Answer Generation and Assessment from Video using Natural Language Processing *; VidVersity Fund Scheme
- 2021: Video-based analytics for monitoring patronage and usage patterns of parklets in the municipality of Boroondara *; Boroondara City Council
- 2021: Virtual Reality based Next Generation Lean Leader Training Platform *; Theta Wave Pty Ltd - Partnership Funds
- 2020: A low-cost labeling solution for product authentication *; iMOVECRC
- 2020: A novel approach for mobile identification and counting of microbial cells *; GRETALS AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
- 2020: Adaptive context caching for fast concurrent access in Internet of Things *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2020: Applying AI and ML to Design and Develop better Clinical Care Paths *; Epworth Healthcare
- 2020: Development of Proof-of-Concept AI-based solution for SoA (Statement of Advice) Assessment *; Fourth Line
- 2020: Peter Mac - 'Smartphone APP: 4-Model Decision Support Tool' *; Project Concept Proposal
- 2020: Reducing the cost of medication errors and non adherence *; Project Concept Proposal
- 2020: Workshop to establish India-Australia Internet of Things Training Academy *; DFAT Australia India Council
- 2019: Assessment of data requirement for a Supply Chain Traceability Platform *; Bondi Laboratories Pty Ltd
- 2019: Connected roads ? Road safety data and analysis *; iMOVECRC
- 2019: Development and Trial of an IoT Solution for labelling consistency and integrity in meat export supply chains *; Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- 2019: Development of an Internet of Things-based Physical Access Controller *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Development of portable parasite identification and counting prototype system for farms *; Gallagher Australia Pty Ltd
- 2019: Digital Wallets: The impacts, implications and issues *; 460degrees_PT
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Data-driven study for dealing with variation in the Vegemite Evaporation Process *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Industry 4.0 Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring Pilot *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2019: Live Inbound Milk Logistics Monitoring and Forecasting Platform *; Bega Cheese Pty Ltd
- 2018: Bus replacement services for rail passenger service disruptions *; iMOVECRC
- 2018: Development of a deep-learning based solution for detecting corrosion in industrial assets using images captured from drones *; Robonomics AI
- 2018: DXC Transformation Centre at Swinburne *; DXC Technology Pty Ltd
- 2018: Industry 4.0 Business Consulting *; DXC Technology Pty Ltd
- 2018: NetCollect - Online social network data collection and visualization platform *; SNA Think Tank Fund Scheme
- 2018: Social and Economic Inclusion Evaluation of a Peer Support Platform for People with low vision and blindness *; DXC Technology Pty Ltd
- 2017: Development and trial of a IoT-based system for environmental and corporate compliance monitoring of retail fuel outlets. *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display