Associate Professor Paul Hernandez Martinez
Paul holds a BSc in Applied Mathematics from Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico, and an MEd and a PhD in Mathematics Education from the University of Leeds, UK. After completing his PhD, he worked as a post-doctoral researcher at The University of Manchester, and later on took a position as Lecturer in Mathematics Education at Loughborough University, in the UK, before being appointed as Senior Lecturer at Swinburne. From 2023, he is an Associate Professor in Mathematics Education (equivalent to Reader in the UK, Professor in the USA). He is the Director of the Mathematics and Statistics Help (MASH) Centre.
His research is in college/university education, specialising in socio-cultural learning theories. He is interested in issues of transition to university, identity, resilience and anxiety, alienation and emotions in the teaching and learning of mathematics. You can read a full description of his research interests and the current and previous projects he has been involved in, by visiting his personal webpage at: www.paulhernandezmartinez.net
Education; Sociology; Mathematical modelling
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Principal Coordinating Supervisor students as Masters & Doctoral Supervision.
PhD topics and outlines
Topics of interest:: (1) Scientific/mathematical capital of students and how this interacts with habitus (or identity) and the field of university mathematics. (2) Mathematics pedagogic practices that have the potential to create positive emotions, deep engagement and/or agency in learners. (3) Other topics that relate to socio-cultural issues in the learning of mathematics at university.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Sociology Of Education - 390203
- Mathematics And Numeracy Curriculum And Pedagogy - 390109
- Higher Education - 390303
- 2022, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Award - Teaching Excellence Award Higher Education, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2022, Swinburne, Teaching Excellence Award, School of Science, Computing and Engineering Technologies
- 2021, Swinburne, Adobe Innovation Award - Exploring play through augmented reality in the learning of science, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2020, Swinburne, Adobe Innovation Award - Digital storytelling to communicate the relevance of mathematics, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2018, Swinburne, Most innovative Canvas Welcome Video, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
- 2017, Other, Maria Agnessi Fellowship, Loughborough University
Also published as: Hernandez Martinez, Paul; Hernandez Martinez, P.; Hernandez-Martinez, P.; Hernandez-Martinez, Paul; Martinez, P. H.; Martinez, Paul H.; Martinez, Paul Hernandez
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display