Dr Nishar Hameed
Dr Nishar Hameed joined the Factory of the Future at Swinburne in July 2016. Prior to joining Swinburne, Nishar was a Research Fellow at Carbon Nexus, Deakin University, where he completed his PhD and Alfred Deakin Post Doc Fellowship.
Nishar’s research is mainly focused on the novel and faster processing of next generation polymers and composite materials. He has published more than 50 high impact journal papers, 6 book chapters, 2 edited books and 2 patents. His several achievements include many “firsts” in the field, inspiring many follow-up studies. Nishar recently developed a new method to produce flexible, toughened and fast cure resins that can be integrated to make formable and rapid cure fibre reinforced composites, concrete preforms and graphene nanocomposites. His research has also led to the development of a new, environmentally processing route to make plastics films and fibres from natural polymers (cellulose, wool, silk).
Nishar won many awards as he advances his research career including AINSE Post Graduate Research Award, Smart Geelong Early Researcher award and Deakin’s Best Doctoral Thesis Award. He has been awarded a number of prestigious fellowships including the highly esteemed Victoria Fellowship, Famelab State Finalist and two Endeavour Fellowships.
He has held visiting appointments at Rice University, University of California Los Angeles, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Kentucky, CNRS Montpellier, Indian Institute of Technology Madras and Indian Institute of Science Bangalore.
Nanostructured Materials; composites
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Professional Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Automated Composite Manufacturing
Composite Sensors for Structural Health Monitoring
Novel Rapid Cure Resins
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Composite And Hybrid Materials - 091202
- Polymers And Plastics - 091209
- Macromolecular And Materials Chemistry - 030300
- 2016, Swinburne, • Vice-Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Contribution to Research: Early Career Researcher (Highly Commended), Swinburne
- 2016, Other, ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, Australian Research Council
- 2015, National, Endeavour Research Fellowship 2016, Federal Government
- 2014, National, FASIC (France–Australia Science Innovation Collaboration) Fellowship, Australian Academy of Science
- 2014, International, FameLab Australia 2014 (Vic State Heat Finalist), British Council and Cheltenham Festivals
- 2014, National, Endeavour Research Fellowship, Federal Government
- 2013, National, The Victoria Fellowship, Government of Victoria
- 2013, National, Fresh Science Vic State Finalist , Science In Public
- 2013, National, CASS Foundation Travel Award, Contributing to Australian Scholarship and Science Foundation
- 2012, Other, Vice-Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Contribution to Research: Early Career Researcher , Deakin University
- 2012, National, Australia-India Fellowship , Australian Academy of Science
- 2011, Other, The Alfred Deakin Medal for Outstanding Academic Achievement - The Best Doctoral Thesis , Deakin University
- 2011, International, Alfred Deakin Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Deakin University
- 2011, National, AINSE Travel Award , Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering
- 2010, Other, Smart Geelong Researcher of the Year – Early Researcher Award , Smart Geelong Network
- 2009, National, AINSE Post Graduate Research Award , Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering
Also published as: Hameed, Nishar; Hameed, N.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Graphene Supply Chain Certification *; Australian Engineering Solutions Pty Ltd (Trading as Austeng)
- 2017: Hybrid Composite Materials and Structures *; DMTC
- 2017: Polymers with controllable networks *; ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA)
- 2017: Virtual Digitalisation with RFID Technology for Steel Fabrication *; Innovation Connections
- 2016: Thermoset materials scoping studyDMTC Project 9.45 *; DMTC
* Chief Investigator
- 2017-11-04: Building a car of the future - Chemicals Today
- 2017-10-11: Swinburne University, IIM announce ‘smart composites’ project - Manufacture Monthly
- 2017-10-10: Project to develop graphene-reinforced smart composites - Inside composites
- 2017-08-02: Improving carbon fibre production - Science in Public
- 2017-04-05: Unique crystal aids carbon fibre breakthrough at Synchrotron - Research News Letter
- 2017-04-04: Insights from collaborative research may lead to improvements in the production of carbon fibres - Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- 2014-05-08: A Solution to Pollution - Deakin Research News Letter
- 2014-05-07: Deakin scientists transform wool and wood offcuts into biodegradable packaging material - The Weekly Times
- 2014-05-07: New biodegradable packaging could help slash global plastic consumption - Deakin Research News Letter
- 2011-05-18: Alfred Deakin Medal awarded to ITRI researcher - Deakin Research News Letter
- 2010-11-22: Bio-renewable plastics from natural resources to reduce pollution - Deakin Research News Letter