Professor Jane Stadler
PhD in Film and Philosophy, Murdoch University, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS421 Hawthorn campus
Jane Stadler is Professor of Film and Media Studies in the Department of Media and Communication at Swinburne University and Honorary Professor at the University of Queensland. She led a collaborative Australian Research Council research project on landscape and location in Australian narratives (2011–2014) and has co-authored a book on this topic, Imagined Landscapes: Geovisualizing Australian Spatial Narratives (2016), and an interactive cultural heritage website, the Cultural Atlas of Australia: http://australian-cultural-atlas.info/CAA/about.php. She is author of Pulling Focus: Intersubjective Experience, Narrative Film and Ethics (2008), co-author of Screen Media (2009) and Media and Society (2016), and co-editor of an adaptation anthology, Pockets of Change (2011). Current research interests include visceral cinema, phenomenological, cognitivist and philosophical approaches to screen aesthetics, ethics, and spectatorship, and neurocinematic studies of audience responses. She is a member of the editorial board for Projections: Journal of Movies and Mind and the International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing.
Jane has supervised 18 PhDs and 4 MPhil students to successful completion. She currently supervises 4 PhD candidates and she welcomes applications from prospective new doctoral supervisees in film and television studies.
Philosophy of Film; Screen Studies; Media Studies
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Film, Television And Digital Media - 190200
Doctoral supervision and research training
- 2018, International, Best article in Film-Philosophy: “The Empath and the Psychopath” 21.3 (2017): 410–427, Film-Philosophy Journal
- 2011, National, Award for Teaching Excellence, Australian Learning and Teaching Council
- 2008, Other, Faculty of Arts Teaching Excellence Award, University of Queensland
- 2008, Other, Award for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, University of Queensland
- 2005, International, Merit Award for Distinguished Teachers, University of Cape Town
- 2000, Other, Vice Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award, Murdoch University
Also published as: Stadler, Jane; Stadler, J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
There are no grants to display.
There are no media items to display