Dr Joel McGregor
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education (SoSSMFE)
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 400B Hawthorn Rd Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Joel McGregor is interested in the systems and services that support individuals after involvement with the justice system, with a specific interest in young people and their workers.
Joel completed his PhD in 2019 which examined how case management and diversionary programs—such as rehabilitation interventions—come together as a practice to help young people following involvement with juvenile justice. This work highlighted how case managers are often required to draw on their own experiences, and an understanding of self, while serving their clients. For instance, case managers will often relate to their clients firstly through their own experiences of trauma or criminality. Then, secondly, they’ll bring in what they’ve learnt from their training. This has important implications for the desistance pathways of young people.
Joel is working with several teams on funded projects that seek to evidence and evaluate new and existing intervention programs for vulnerable populations.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Also published as: McGregor, Joel; McGregor, J.; McGregor, J. R.; McGregor, Joel R.; McGregor, Joel Robert
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Integrated Mentoring for Young Women Leaving Out-of-Home Care *; Jack Brockhoff Foundation Fund Scheme
- 2022: Interventions for young men and boys using IPV in early relationships: Analysing identification, referral and practices, and investigating motivating and protective factors fortargeted intervention *; Family Violence Research Grants: Phase 1
- 2022: Kids Under Cover Juvenile Justice Housing Program: Year One Research Proposal *; Kids Under Cover
- 2021: Provision of training package design for Community Corrections *; Queensland Corrective Services Fund Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2024-01-22: Criminology Lecturer Weighs in on the Concerning Trend of Youth Crime - 3AW
- 2023-11-25: Behind the scenes of Victoria's youth crime problem, the best response is proving divisive - ABC News
- 2019-07-29: Juvenile prison guards strip searches cause mental health problems, former inmates claim - ABC News
- 2019-07-29: Young crime is often a phase, and locking kids up is counterproductive - The Conversation
- 2019-07-25: Juvenile justice experts urge Australia to look to NZ for solutions - PM with Linda Mottram